mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Odd decryption/signature interaction

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Odd decryption/signature interaction

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Odd decryption/signature interaction
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 17:21:58 -0400

On 9/29/10 8:21 PM, Nick Newman wrote:

> I carefully tried to extract all the metadata and keys and code and
> libraries and response XML necessary to send you a nice clean sample,
> and when I finally got all the parts together - it worked just fine.
>
> So I assumed I hadn't reproduced some feature of the original problem.
> But when I tried to put the original back to doing the double-check -
> it worked fine too!

Ok, good to know. I wrote a basic test for this and I couldn't
trivially reproduce it either.

> So although I *know* that I saw this effect (and in fact still have
> the evidence of it in my logs) I am totally at a loss to explain why I
> cannot reproduce it now. It's not like there's much to go wrong in
> writing three method calls: check(); decrypt(); check();

It's not impossible that there's a bug somewhere down in the depths of
the DOM layer or in Apache xmlsec. In particular, Apache xmlsec used to
have some questionable optimizations (and I think still does) that would
cause weird signature failures under certain conditions, such as reusing
a given XMLSignature instance within the same thread, with the same
key/keypair. So you might have hit something like that. Hard to tell.

> I suggest we put it down to my system's weirdness (or its operator's)
> and forget it unless it turns up again.

Yes, if it turns up again, definitely let us know. In that case, seeing
some debug output of the Apache xmlsec signature validation would help
in diagnosing.

--Brent