mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] problem with Sign.signObject()

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] problem with Sign.signObject()

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] problem with Sign.signObject()
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:05:34 -0400

On 8/16/10 10:12 AM, Fabrizio Paccagnella wrote:

>> Hi, I tried to sign an assertion following this tutorial
>> https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUserManJavaDSIG
>>
>> However when I try to sign the assertion I get this exception:
>> org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException: object not
>> initialized for signature or verification

You get that error when you don't supply a key to Apache xmlsec. I
didn't see a call to signature.setSigningCredential in your code. I
suppose b/c it's omitted from that particular example on the wiki. (It
is present on the example above that one). I have fixed the wiki.
Basically you just need to call
"signature.setSigningCredential(signingCredential)".

That should solve your problem, but if not, let me know.

--Brent