mace-opensaml-users - RE: [OpenSAML] Handling AttributeStatement content

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: [OpenSAML] Handling AttributeStatement content

  • From: "Pantvaidya, Vishwajit" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [OpenSAML] Handling AttributeStatement content
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:30:46 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Cantor
[mailto:]

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:13 PM

Pantvaidya, Vishwajit wrote on 2009-03-18:
> Is there any recommended general purpose way to process different
Attribute
> contents and extract the we need from that.

I don't understand the question. If you're dealing with XML, you have access
to the objects that make up the attribute value, and it's up to you to
consume them.

[Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] The scenario is where my system needs to be able to
authenticate using a preexisting 3rdparty auth server. Typically, my system
just needs the email attribute. But the auth server is sending a more complex
object. So in general, I need ability to process arbitrary xml objects and
extract what I need from them.
I did look this up and it seems that the XmlObject returned is an xmlbeans
object. So I guess I should be able to use xpath/xquery to do my job.

> Alternatively are there any standards around Attribute content itself that
> we can implement and expect the identifying parties to follow?

Only in specific communities, and much less so with SAML 1.1.

I don't really understand why you're implementing a standard that's been
superseded for nearly 4 years either. When you have to, you have to, but you
don't *just* implement the out of date one.

[Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] That's what we have right now - and I am just
migrating to OpenSAML. Next thing we will do is add SAML2 support.

-- Scott

[Pantvaidya, Vishwajit] Thanks.