mace-opensaml-users - RE: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [OpenSAML] OpenSAML 2.0 custom data type help
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:06:08 -0500

Neill Miller wrote on 2009-02-06:
> That's likely because of the way the XMLHelper.appendTextContent is working.
> Is there another method I can use that won't cause the escaping, or is there
> a better XML output format I should be working toward to get this going?

Without commenting on the code, I will say you shouldn't use xsi:type at all
if it's not a built-in type. The standard makes that quite clear. Schema
typing is brittle, and largely broken in signature oriented use cases because
QNames in content are so badly supported in XML.

The implication, unfortunately, is that libraries like OpenSAML have to
expose your data using proxy/wildcard objects rather than typesafe ones, but
that's the cost of interoperability.

You can build your data using custom objects, but they shouldn't emit
xsi:type.