mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] encoding an X.509 certificate

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] encoding an X.509 certificate

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] encoding an X.509 certificate
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:50:29 -0500

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Scott Cantor

>> > So my question is: If you were given an X.509 certificate of unknown
>> > encoding, could you determine the encoding by simply inspecting the
>> > bytes? Does the OpenSAML library support such a function?
>
> I've since done more checking into the OpenSSL functions I'm using, and the
> functions that I thought were DER-specific actually come right out and say
> they handle some forms of BER as well, at least in the ASN.1 -> certificate
> object direction.

That's because BER and DER are related, DER being a restricted form of
BER. I can convert BER to DER but I don't know if the same algorithm
can be applied to DER in the first place. If so, I can blindly apply
the algorithm to obtain DER. If not, I need a away to detect the
encoding used.

Do your openssl functions require that you specify the encoding up
front or will it figure that out on its own?

> So I think my original supposition (and the feedback I was getting from the
> xmlsec WG) is correct. This encoding, like XML's, is simply implicitly
> handled by the underlying code, at least to some degree.

I think that's a stretch. Even if BER and DER can be handled
programmatically, what about CER, PER, and XER? Although I don't have
any hard evidence, I seriously doubt that such an algorithm could
exist. Even if it does, it seems like a lot of unnecessary work that
could be easily avoided by specifying the encoding precisely.

Tom