mace-opensaml-users - Using XMLObject to create saml:AttributeValues

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Using XMLObject to create saml:AttributeValues

  • From: "Mazza, Glen R." <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Using XMLObject to create saml:AttributeValues
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:24:14 -0400

Hello, I’m a newbie with OpenSAML (using version 2) and I’m trying to create a SAML 2.0 token for a SOAP header using this library.  I’m using the OpenSAML API to manually to create the SAML token.

Everything seems to be going fine in creating saml:Subjects, saml:AuthnStatements, etc., but I’m having trouble creating an saml:AttributeValue, within a saml:Attribute.  This is my goal:

<saml:Assertion>

….

<saml:AttributeStatement>

      <saml:Attribute Name="Level" NameFormat="http://www.example.org/System/Security">

         <saml:AttributeValue>Advanced</saml:AttributeValue>

      </saml:Attribute>

</saml:AttributeStatement>

….

</saml:Assertion>

Saml:AttributeStatement and saml:attribute can be created easily using the OpenSAML API, but saml:AttributeValue is of type “org.opensaml.xml.XMLObject”, it is attached to the saml:Attribute via this type of function call:

attributeObj.getAttributeValues().add(xmlObj);

Problem is, I don’t know how to convert “<saml:AttributeValue>Advanced</saml:AttributeValue>” into an xmlObj so I can attach it to the attribute.  Can anyone point me to sample code that shows how to do this?

Thanks,

Glen