mace-opensaml-users - Re: [OpenSAML] Error bootstrapping 2.0.0

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: [OpenSAML] Error bootstrapping 2.0.0

  • From: Brent Putman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [OpenSAML] Error bootstrapping 2.0.0
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:41:59 -0400

Bob Jacoby wrote:
I'm using opensaml 2.0.0 (as the readme in the 2.1 line specifically
stated not to use it in production).

I think this was brought up on the list before, but that was just a mistake in the README.txt that made it's way into the release distribution (wasn't updated from the alpha/beta/RC phases). OpenSAML 2.1.0 is a fully supported released version of the software.

When I configure the library using
the bootstrap class as shown in
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/OpenSAML/OSTwoUsrManJavaLibIntro I
get an error (a snippet below, full at end of email):

ERROR XMLConfigurator - Can not create instance of
org.opensaml.saml2.metadata.impl.EncryptionMethodMarshaller

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.opensaml.xml.encryption.impl.EncryptionMethodMarshaller: method
<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V not found
at
org.opensaml.saml2.metadata.impl.EncryptionMethodMarshaller.<init>(Encry
ptionMethodMarshaller.java:28)

I'm not doing anything special; the extent of my entire test case to
reproduce this contains the following:

try {
org.opensaml.DefaultBootstrap.bootstrap();
}
catch (ConfigurationException ex) {
throw new RuntimeException(ex);
}

That's very strange. This might be caused if you are trying to used the opensaml-2.0.0.jar with the newer versions of openws and xmltooling from OpenSAML 2.1.0. I would suggest re-downloading the latest tarball or zip and making sure you have a consistent set of all 3 libraries in the OpenSAML stack. That would be:

opensaml-2.1.0.jar
openws-1.1.0.jar
xmltooling-1.0.1.jar

And make sure to remove any other versions of those 3 jars from your classpath.
--Brent