mace-opensaml-users - RE: [OpenSAML] Unable to extract SAML token

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: [OpenSAML] Unable to extract SAML token

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [OpenSAML] Unable to extract SAML token
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:46:08 -0400

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:22 AM,
> <>
> wrote:
> > I am using SAML 1.0.
>
> The example you posted is a SAML V1.1 assertion. Am I missing something?

For the record, I didn't actually look. ;-)

That aside, my recollection is that because the ID attribute was specific to
SAML 1.1, and also "custom" in the sense that you had to know about SAML to
handle it, the WSS profile does not permit so-called direct references,
wherein you sign the assertion directly. An STR is used to wrap it with a
known element and a known ID attribute.

But as always, I defer to the spec, I don't know it in detail.