mace-opensaml-users - RE: clone an XMLObject

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: clone an XMLObject

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: clone an XMLObject
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:48:15 -0500

> Is there a better or prescribed way? Are there any negative side-
> effects (besides performance) to the approach above?

All my objects have (deep) clone methods (as did the old Java code). If the
Java interface doesn't, then the only way would be the way you're doing it.

Actually, my clone operation is "optimized" by doing a DOM clone and
unmarshall rather than manually cloning each object, which is the fall back
case.

The downside here is the extra code involved (I handle that sequence), plus
the extra marshalling step if the DOM isn't there yet.