mace-opensaml-users - RE: Some Basic Questions on OpenSAML

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Some Basic Questions on OpenSAML

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Some Basic Questions on OpenSAML
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:59:14 -0400

> 1. What components are required to build a SP (or SAML 1.x consumer)? I
> mean, can we download the OpenSAML1.1b version, build it and deploy on a
> tomcat server? Is that sufficient to get us a functional SP?

No, not at all. OpenSAML is a toolkit, it's not an IdP or an SP. It's not
even in the same ballpark, it's apples and oranges.

> 2. Similarly what components are required to build an IdP (or SAML 1.x
> producer)?

Same answer. This is not SP or IdP software, Shibboleth is.

> 3. It looks like there is a "packaged download" of shibboleth idp and sp
> in tar.gz format. Is it sufficient to download and install these packages
> to have a functional idp and SP?

Sort of. An IdP is a front end, it requires significant site-specific
integration to function in any meaningful way. The SP is more self
contained.

> 4. We have also found opensaml2-2.0-alpha1-src files available for
> download. What steps are necessary to build a SP from this source
> download?

Step 1: Write an SP. ;-)

They're just not the same thing at all. This is a library for building IdP
and SP functionality, it's not the functionality itself, just raw pieces.