mace-opensaml-users - RE: putting a handle in opensaml 1.0 assertion xml...

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: putting a handle in opensaml 1.0 assertion xml...

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: putting a handle in opensaml 1.0 assertion xml...
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:55:37 -0400

> I am working with openSAML 1.0. We have a requirement of carrying around a
> 'reference handle' in the assertion. From what I have heard from other
> developers it is not possible to insert extra nodes within the assertion
> xml as this leads to the assertion xml not being validated by opensaml (as
> I hear, its possible with the next version of opensaml).

No, it's not. You should never expect an invalid SAML instance to work. If
it happens to work, that's simply a case of the code not checking at a given
point in time or with a schema. You cannot rely on this, and sending XML
like that is a bug, not a feature to be exploited.

There are many extension points in the schemas, and they are what you have
to use to carry undefined content. Advice in particular.

> Therefore I am
> planning to inject the handle as a Comment node in the xml. Therefore
> assertion is created in the way -

That would be a bad idea and would not work, as you already discovered.