mace-opensaml-users - Should I be able to sign response and assertion with same key?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Should I be able to sign response and assertion with same key?

  • From: Mike Klein <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Should I be able to sign response and assertion with same key?
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:41:42 -0700

I know at a minimum it is assertions most important to sign but I
thought I should sign enclosing response as well...but I get error when
doing this.

Signature sig = SAMLUtil.getSignature(response);
assertion.setSignature(sig);
String signedEncodedResponse = SAMLUtil.marshall(response, sig,
true);

As soon as I set signature on assertion I get following:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
org.opensaml.xml.signature.impl.SignatureImpl cannot be added - it is
already the child of another SAML Object
at
org.opensaml.xml.AbstractXMLObject.prepareForAssignment(AbstractXMLObject.java:370)

How should I be going about this? Is perhaps signing just broken in this
sense?