mace-opensaml-users - dependencies licensing question

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

dependencies licensing question

  • From: "George Stanchev" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: dependencies licensing question
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:08:48 -0700

Hello,

We are considering using the OpenSAML C++ libraries as a SAML processor
in a
project that would be published under the Eclipse Public License (EPL)
and
managed under the Eclipse Foundation. However some of the C++
dependencies
of both the OpenSAML 1.x and OpenSAML 2 and correspondingly xmltooling-C
are
a show-stopper for us. There are 2 components that xmltooling depend on
that are published under LGPL that are in conflict with the Eclipse
Foundation
guidelines and rules - log4cpp and CxxUnit.

IANAL so I don't know if that is in conflict with the APL 2.0, but
Eclipse
certainly frowns upon and disallows LGPL components even as dependencies
and
not part of the actual distribution of dependencies of components
published
under EPL.

I suspect nothing can be done for OpenSAML 1, but is there anywhere
where I can
plead a case of switching the logging and unit testing to a framework
with
license that is liberal enough and compatible with yours? I know boost
has
both frameworks under MIT-similar license, Pantheios is another logging
framework
that actually allow you to extend it with log4cpp and such but itself is
under
BSD-style license.

Either that or wrapping the logging around conditional statements so the
library
could be build without any logging to avoid LGPL polution.

Comments?

Thanks in advance,

George Stanchev

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail