mace-opensaml-users - RE: Decoder Interface & Key Algorithm

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Decoder Interface & Key Algorithm

  • From: Andreas Vallen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: Decoder Interface & Key Algorithm
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:40:18 +0100

another off-list message from Scott regarding the Key Algorithm:

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:06:01 -0500
From: Scott Cantor
<>

Actually, I do have a reason for not defaulting the signature algorithm.
You're assuming SHA-1 is the default, which isn't the ideal default, plus
you're creating an implicit ordering on the use of setSigningKey vs.
setSignatureAlgorithm.

I prefer to make sure the caller sets the right values for the application,
but leave the call order up to him.

Basically, any default I pick is an assumption, so I'd rather not make any.
In practice, both set methods should be required.