mace-opensaml-users - Re: verify SAML assertions

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: verify SAML assertions

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: verify SAML assertions
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:24:13 -0500

There are many ways in which you could verify SAML assertions, signatures is the most common transport-agnostic manner, TLS is the most common transport-specific manner.

A sort of middle ground approach is the currently draft simple signing binding (link below), but this is limited to HTTP POST.

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/20561/draft-hodges-saml-binding-simplesign-02.pdf

As far as the release date for OpenSAML 2.0 I've stopped trying to speculate and have finally resorted to Scott's answer "It'll be done when it's done, which will be with the release of Shibboleth 2.0". The TP2 release is fairly stable when it comes to message parsing and creation. The signature work is going to be changed before the final release so I wouldn't build a lot of code on top of that yet and the binding support isn't included with TP2 (though is in development on the trunk).

Manuel Ernstberger wrote:
Hello,

is it possible to verify SAML assertions without using signatures? Is there
perhaps a possibility to compare two SAML assertions?

By the way, do you know when exactly the stable version of opensaml 2.0 will
be released? Or can I already work with the TP without having too much
problems?

Regards,

Manuel

--