mace-opensaml-users - OpenSAML 2.0 Update: Technology Preview 2

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

OpenSAML 2.0 Update: Technology Preview 2

  • From: Chad la Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: OpenSAML 2.0 Update: Technology Preview 2
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:38:35 -0400

We've been pretty quiet about progress on OpenSAML 2 thus far and, frankly, it's because I haven't made the progress I hoped for due to other, external, constraints.

So, that's the bad news. The good news is that I have just uploaded technology preview 2 (TP2) of OpenSAML 2.0, Java edition. While a lot of the stuff that did go into this release is under the covers there are some new, notable, features:
- Ability to bootstrap the library with a default configuration (now you don't have to load up all those config files yourself).
- Metadata providers that allow metadata to be fetched, cached, and queried.
- The trust code from Shibboleth has been moved in to OpenSAML, as trust engines, so people can do trust checks at the library level.
- Digital signatures have been reworked so that we can support various signature use cases (e.g. detached signatures placed in a different part of the XML tree from the content signed, these signatures may be nested in other signatures, and various other configs).
- Classes to deal with creating artifacts
- Support for SAML 1 metadata, SAML 2 metadata standalone query, and SAML 2 protocol third-party extensions

As always, this release should not be used in production systems but is meant to give an understanding of the library that we are developing. The APIs available in this release are fairly stable but may change as we continue development.

You can get the release here
http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/downloads/opensaml2/java/tp2/

You can find documentation here
https://authdev.it.ohio-state.edu/twiki/bin/view/Shibboleth/OpenSAML

This will be the last technology preview release. Our developers are now going to be continuing development in conjunction with Shibboleth 2.0 development. This should help us knock out the bindings and profile classes (the last major chunk of work) that we'll make available in a more timely manner.

As always, if you have question, comments, or suggestion please send them to the list. If you find bugs please submit them to bugzilla in the 2.0-TP2 version:

http://bugzilla.internet2.edu/

Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124

  • OpenSAML 2.0 Update: Technology Preview 2, Chad la Joie, 09/13/2006