mace-opensaml-users - OpenSAML 2 Status Update

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

OpenSAML 2 Status Update

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To: OpenSAML <>
  • Subject: OpenSAML 2 Status Update
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:31:10 -0400

Let me apologize for not having sent out an update in a while. Over the last month and a half I've been pulled away from code development, but I'm back at it.

OpenSAML 2, Java Edition
- Major work on the digital signature support for XMLTooling, which now supports detached signatures in addition to enveloped sigs

- Signature support within OpenSAML for all signable SAML objects

- The metadata resolution and caching mechanics have been been completely redone and a new MetadataProvider system has been added. This provider allows you to load metadata from multiple locations and retrieve entity information from loaded data. This code is still buggy but should be finalized this week.

- A new library, OpenWS, has been created which will hold all our Web Service related message production and parsing code. It is to SOAP (and soon various WS-*) specs what OpenSAML is to SAML. Currently SOAP 1.1 support has been implemented

- Based on OpenWS initial work on Profiles and Bindings has started. This code is in extreme flux, but some stub code is out there. Specifically I've started with the ECP profile on top of the Liberty Reverse-SOAP (PAOS) binding, because I happen to need it for another project.

- An initial port of the Shibboleth BasicTrust code has been completed and incorporated. Work will continue on hooking this into various validation points (like signature validation on dynamic metadata). The more advanced PKIX trust (known as ShibbolethTrust in Shib) will also be ported minus its Shib specific extensions.

- The library now errors out if the the JVM is using the Sun XML Parser with an error message that instructs users to endorse a usable parser.

- Removed DOMCachingXXXXX interfaces and collapsed them into XMLObjectXXXX interfaces. The library is essentially useless if objects don't hold on to caches of their DOM, so no need to have a separate interface.

Upcoming Changes
- Lots of documentation updates to reflect the changes mentioned above

- We'll be moving to a new (much faster) subversion server. The subversion repository URL will change. I'll send a note out a couple of days before this happens, but it will likely occur next week sometime.
--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124