mace-opensaml-users - Re: marshal vs. marshall

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Re: marshal vs. marshall

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To: OpenSAML <>
  • Subject: Re: marshal vs. marshall
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 06:55:24 -0500

The spelling is correct, as I told you the last time your contacted me about it. You can think of it as the British spelling (since we do have a UK member working on the code) or you can think of it as the common software spelling of it (since many packages that do marshalling/unmarshalling spell it like that) or you can disregard the spelling issue and help us develop and test useful functionality.

Tom Scavo wrote:
Just a note about a spelling (marshal vs. marshall) that appears
throughout CVS.

Primary spelling: marshal, marshaled, marshaling, marshaler
Alternate spelling (esp. Brit): marshall, marshalled, marshalling, marshaller

In every American dictionary I've checked, the spelling "marshal" is
the primary spelling. Since SAML has already opted for American
English (e.g., organization vs. organisation), perhaps the library
should stick with that.

Tom