mace-opensaml-users - problems using OpenSAML 1.0 (Java) on AIX

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

problems using OpenSAML 1.0 (Java) on AIX

  • From: <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: problems using OpenSAML 1.0 (Java) on AIX
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:36:12 +1100

I am trying to port our application to AIX 5.2. It uses the OpenSAML 1.0
(Java).
I am getting the following exceptions raised when trying to call the
SAMLAssertion sign method, using the
XMLSignature.ALGO_ID_SIGNATURE_RSA_SHA1 algorithm.

SAMLSignedObject.sign() detected an XML security exception: The
requested algorithm http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1 does not
exist. Original Message was: null (wrapped: The requested algorithm
http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1 does not exist. Original
Message was: null) - EXCEPTION:
org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException: The requested
algorithm http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1 does not exist.
Original Message was: null
Original Exception was java.lang.NullPointerException
org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException: The requested
algorithm http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1 does not exist.
Original Message was: null
Original Exception was java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.opensaml.SAMLSignedObject.sign(Unknown Source)

I am using the AIX JRE version 1.4.2. java -version says:

java version "1.4.2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2)
Classic VM (build 1.4.2, J2RE 1.4.2 IBM AIX build ca1420-20040626 (JIT
enabled: jitc))

I have tried placing xmlsec-1.1.jar in the jre/lib/endorsed directory.
It made no difference.

I've had a look at the OpenSAML FAQ and looked for any other related
info.
It seems as though OpenSAML has not been successfully ported to AIX (at
least for the C++ version).
Is this also true of the Java version?

Obviously it is something to do with the AIX JRE security components.
There do seem to be rsa-sha1 related
classes in the security providers - maybe they are called something
different to "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1"; ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Ryan-Brown