mace-opensaml-users - RE: SAML mapping to anyURI type

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: SAML mapping to anyURI type

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: "'Rathod, Ashish (A.K.)'" <>,
  • Subject: RE: SAML mapping to anyURI type
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:38:25 -0400

> I noticed that anyURI type has been mapped to String type in
> the Java implementation of SAML. What was the reasoning
> behind selecting this mapping?

Using a URL object (even assuming it handles all possible URIs) seemed like
overkill to me since it parses the thing.

> According to the XML Schema there are constraints around this
> datatype. Are these constraints implemented?

Well, currently I validate, so if the parser works, yes. Since nobody else
validates, and I probably won't in the future, the better question to ask is
"why are we bothering to specify a schema that detailed when anybody pretty
much accepts anything anyway?"