mace-opensaml-users - RE: SAML within SOAP messages

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: SAML within SOAP messages

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: RE: SAML within SOAP messages
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:54:32 -0500

> I would like to know if there exists objects within the
> opensaml java implementation that help append the saml
> request and reponse into SOAP messages.

The SAMLSOAPBinding class can handle the basic packaging and unpackaging for
you, although the send() side of this in Java is not well tested or used by
me at the moment.

The SOAP binding in 1.1 is specifically defined in such a fashion that use
of SOAP is invisible and adds nothing to the picture, so it is appropriate
to expose essentially nothing SOAP-related in the SAML API. That's why I
just do the enveloping inside that class.

On the authority end, you can use the servlet request object to extract the
SAML request using the receive() method and then send back a response or an
exception with the respond() method. I also automate the detection of SOAP
faults and SAML errors and toss those out from send() as exceptions. As I
say, this part is well tested and includes lots of SSL support in C++, but
the Java stuff is just a placeholder at the moment. It may work, more or
less.