mace-opensaml-users - opensaml 0.9 DOM3 interface usage...

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

opensaml 0.9 DOM3 interface usage...

  • From: "Molitor, Mark" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: opensaml 0.9 DOM3 interface usage...
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:47:21 -0800 (PST)

There are only three methods within the opensaml code
that utilize any DOM3 methods. These appear to be the
only methods which call any DOM3 api.

The following methods each call the setIdAttributeNS
DOM3 method.

SAMLAssertion>toDOM(Document)
calls DOM3 method setIdAttributeNS

assertion.setIdAttributeNS(null,
"AssertionID", true);

SAMLRequest>toDOM(Document)
calls DOM3 method setIdAttributeNS

r.setIdAttributeNS(null, "RequestID", true);

SAMLResponse>toDOM(Document)
calls DOM3 method setIdAttributeNS

r.setIdAttributeNS(null, "ResponseID", true);

Because of our dependency on Xerces and Xalan for
other parts of our application / services, we do not
want to introduce the DOM3 support. We are trying to
stay on versions of Xerces and Xalan which implement
specifications which are part of the W3C
Recommendations. This results in a conflict: opensaml
requires DOM3 and we do not want to use it in our
applications (yet). In addition, we need to run these
in the same Java VM.

As a result, we downloaded the Xerces 2.4.0 from
apache and are using that version with opensaml. In
order to use the non-DOM3 version of the jars, I had
to comment out these three uses of the
setIdAttributeNS method. This did not seem to
adversely affect my running of opensaml and the XML
generated by opensaml did not appear to change. I am
not sure how you are, or plan on, utilizing the
information associated with using this new DOM3 api.

QUESTIONS:
(1) What is the risk of not using the DOM3 support
versions of Xerces 2.4.0, but instead using the
standard Xerces 2.4.0?
(2) Would there be any visible differences as a result
of not using the set ID attribute NS method:
setIdAttributeNS (I did not see any differences)?

Thanks,
Mark Molitor