mace-opensaml-users - RE: How to use QName with SAMLAttribute?

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: How to use QName with SAMLAttribute?

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'Ilya Pevzner' <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: How to use QName with SAMLAttribute?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:19:38 -0400

> I am just wondering if I am going to have a validation
> problem if I try to pass XML an attribute value? If so, is
> there a work around? If not, how is this going to be fixed in SAML 2.

If you put an XML attribute *inside* the <AttributeValue> element itself,
yes, it won't validate. You would have to provide an xsi:type and a
supporting schema to define the <AttributeValue> element's type as
permitting the attribute.

In Shibboleth we pass all attributes as this type:

<complexType name="AttributeValueType" mixed="true">
<sequence>
<any namespace="##any" processContents="lax"
minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</sequence>
<anyAttribute namespace="##any" processContents="lax"/>
</complexType>

So we can pass anything, basically. I plan to propose a schema change to
SAML along those lines at some point to open up the content model.