mace-opensaml-users - RE: Problem with time format in SAML response

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Problem with time format in SAML response

  • From: "Philpott, Robert" <>
  • To: "'Shannon Kendrick'" <>, "''" <>
  • Subject: RE: Problem with time format in SAML response
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:37:15 -0400

An implementation responding with timezone offset is NOT conformant.

The SAML core specification states:

1.1.1 Time Values

All SAML time values have the type xsd:dateTime, which is built in to the W3C XML Schema Datatypes specification [Schema2], and MUST be expressed in UTC form.

SAML system entities SHOULD NOT rely on other applications supporting time resolution finer than milliseconds. Implementations MUST NOT generate time instants that specify leap seconds.

UTC time means using the "Z" format.

XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes states the following re: UTC:

This representation may be immediately followed by a "Z" to indicate Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or, to indicate the time zone, i.e. the difference between the local time and Coordinated Universal Time, immediately followed by a sign, + or -, followed by the difference from UTC represented as hh:mm (note: the minutes part is required). See ISO 8601 Date and Time Formats (§D) for details about legal values in the various fields. If the time zone is included, both hours and minutes must be present.

If you have a non-OpenSAML implementation generating such time value formats, it should be considered non-corforming and should be reported as a bug to the vendor.

Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.
The Most Trusted Name in e-Security
Tel: 781-515-7115