mace-opensaml-users - Note about licensing of OpenSAML (was RE: Any example code available!)

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

Note about licensing of OpenSAML (was RE: Any example code available!)

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Note about licensing of OpenSAML (was RE: Any example code available!)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:55:43 -0400

> I am new to SAML. I am wondering if there are any
> references available on how to use the SAML. And also
> can I get free down load for evaluation other than
> from Phoas.

My earlier message today about sums up the first question. Depending on what
you want to do, I can probably point you at some
example code, but it's hard to answer the question without any context.

OpenSAML is free to anybody (Apache-style license), but note that RSA has
published their patent licensing terms for SAML toolkits,
and OpenSAML is subject to those terms, as is Phaos' library or anyone else's.

Anybody using the code is subject to the terms and should evaluate the
license at
http://www.rsasecurity.com/solutions/standards/saml/

Internet2 has initiated the process of obtaining the license for both Shib
and OpenSAML, but because OpenSAML is a toolkit, anybody
using it directly is potentially infringing if they don't also get a license
(in RSA's opinion; I'm not a lawyer and am not arguing
for or against their claims).

They offer a free license, but it requires a signature from somebody
authorized to offer reciprocal patent licenses if you work for
a company.

All of this will be posted on the OpenSAML site, I just haven't had a chance
to work with the web folks on it yet.