mace-opensaml-users - RE: Looking for "best practices" regarding handling of keys/certificates

Subject: OpenSAML user discussion

RE: Looking for "best practices" regarding handling of keys/certificates

  • From: Mark Wilcox <>
  • To: Shannon Kendrick <>,
  • Subject: RE: Looking for "best practices" regarding handling of keys/certificates
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:40:47 -0500

Personally it's been a while since I read the SAML spec, so I'm not 100%
sure if it's sent in the response. However if it is sent in the response
there's a variety of ways of choosing how to handle an unknown signature:

1 -- You can make a policy to only accept signatures signed by sites you
trust
2 -- You can make a policy to only accept signatures that were signed by
public keys that in turn have been signed by a site you trust (this is what
X.509 & PKI bring to the table though in theory you could use another
public-key format I suppose like PGP to sign a request).

I would recommend you read upon PKI and Java cryptography to get a better
understanding on the topic.

Mark