k20innovators - Megaconference Jr. 2008 Call for Proposals

Subject: Remote Instrumentation & Data Visualizations Working Group

Megaconference Jr. 2008 Call for Proposals

  • From: Jennifer Oxenford <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Megaconference Jr. 2008 Call for Proposals
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:20:13 -0400

[Apologies for cross-postings...]

Colleagues,

Please help us circulate this Call for Proposals for the upcoming Megaconference Jr. 2008 to those who may be interested in your areas.

- Deadline for presenter proposals - November 9, 2007

We look forward to your involvement!

WHAT IS MEGACONFERENCE JR.?
Megaconference Jr., now in its fifth year, is a project designed to give students in elementary and secondary schools around the world the opportunity to communicate, collaborate and contribute to each other's learning in real time, using advanced multi-point video conferencing technology. Presenters design and conduct videoconference-based presentations and activities focused on both academic and cultural issues. Participants are able to address questions to presenters and to collaborate with geographically diverse peers in collaborative learning activities, thus building international cultural awareness.

HOW IS THIS YEAR DIFFERENT?
As we celebrate our fifth anniversary we would like to thank everyone for making this such a successful event. We have exceeded all of our initial goals and objectives. We have made connections, built collaborations and begun to understand our cultural differences and similarities. With our new understandings we hope to continue to build respect for our differences and a willingness to work together to find answers and solutions to the questions of our times. We encourage you to look at your community, region or nation and identify issues that not only affect you but others around the world.  As global citizens, can we
begin talking and working together to make positive changes in the world? As you begin planning your presentations and proposals for this year you might want to think of these ideas and how we can make this 5 Year Anniversary Megaconference Jr. event even better by further addressing these global questions and concerns that face us all. Of course, we always welcome presentations dealing with cultural exchanges, music/art/video exchanges and projects or innovative classroom practices.

WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE?
The event will be on February 21, 2008, and it will run from 7:00 am until 7:00 pm EST (UTC-5). The 12-hour duration will make it possible for schools from many time zones to participate during their regular school hours. We strongly encourage schools to open up participation to parents, administrators, and the community and to stay connected for as long as possible so that they can actively participate with sites from around the world in different time-zones. Museums and libraries are especially encouraged to invite children, library patrons, and the community at large to participate during non-school hours.

HOW CAN I CONTRIBUTE?
You can propose a 20-25 min. interactive presentation or showcase an interesting collaboration project that you have been doing in your school. You can also suggest activities that could be organized at "downtimes" between the blocks of presentations. You can also sign up as an "Interactive" site once the final schedule is posted. Or, you can join us as participants with no special presentation given from your site.

WHO CAN BE A PRESENTER?
Students, students, and more students (with a little help from their teachers and tech folks, of course) can be presenters. Presentations with multiple sites (of students!) are strongly encouraged.

HOW DO I SUBMIT A PROPOSAL?
The proposal submission process has been streamlined again this year to ensure a successful conference for all. Anyone who wishes to submit a proposal can register as a presenter for Megaconference Jr. 2008 at

HOW WILL PROPOSALS BE EVALUATED?
Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
1. Title: The title is catchy and unique and related to the objective of the presentation.
2. Presentation is Related to Theme: Student presentations should focus on academic or cultural issues and incorporate global awareness and collaboration.
3. Collaboration/Interactivity: The ideal presentation should include collaboration with students in another geographic location. If your project includes another site please identify that in the "Overview" section of the proposal submission form.
4. Creativity/Uniqueness: The presentation is delivered in a creative way and presents a different or unique topic.
5. Multimedia: Without distracting from the proposal objectives, the students use a variety of media resources and appropriate distance learning activities.

WHAT TECHNOLOGY DO I NEED TO PARTICIPATE?
Most sites will need Internet2 or comparable high-speed connection and access to H.323 video-conferencing equipment. Presentations must be made using H.323 technology, preferably at 768 Kbps, and they will be made from the presenter's location. Presentations with multiple remote presenters are encouraged (see evaluation criteria above).

WOULD I BE ABLE TO REHEARSE?
Yes, all presenters will be required to hold at least one dress rehearsal, preferably with their interactive sites, prior to the event to rehearse and refine their presentations.

HOW TO REGISTER AND SUBMIT A PROPOSAL:
Presenter registration and subsequent proposal submission should be completed online at:

DEADLINE:

Submit your presenter proposal(s) by November 9, 2007
(If you are unable to submit by this date due to special circumstances such as extended holiday break, please let us know and we will do everything possible to accommodate your schedule.)

AND....
Please forward this message to anyone you feel would be interested in being a presenter site, anywhere in the world.

CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS FOR TEAMS:
We're still in need of volunteers to join our five teams to help make this year's event the best ever. If you are interested in volunteering to be a part of planning the Megaconfernece Jr. planning teams, please see http://www.megaconferencejr.org/?id=2008_callforteams

Check out the Megaconference Jr. 2008 website at

And, join the online discussion on the Megaconference Jr. blog at

--

Jennifer Oxenford

Associate Director, MAGPI

215-898-0341 (office)

267-322-0036 (cell)

www.magpi.net

215-74MAGPI (215-746-2474)

  • Megaconference Jr. 2008 Call for Proposals, Jennifer Oxenford, 10/17/2007