ivclibrarians - notes/archived video from 11/20 meeting

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

notes/archived video from 11/20 meeting

  • From: James Werle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: notes/archived video from 11/20 meeting
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:27:28 -0800

All,

My apologies to anyone who was not able to connect via video
yesterday. I accidentally included outdated dial string info in
agenda.

The video archive from the discussion is here (we get started about
2:00 minutes into the video):
http://video.magpi.net/videos/video/580/

Here are brief notes.

+ Ellen Ervin from Connected for Learning offered a description of the
Senior Learning network for more info on Senior Learning Network
http://www.connected4learning.com/senior-learning-network and how
libraries could get involved as content providers.

+ Be sure to check out the upcoming Dec 4th Megaconference event
http://www.megaconference.org/. Consider registering as a presenter
("flexible" deadline 11/27). The event will be streamed and archived
if you decide to observe before possibly participating next year.

+ We continued to discuss collaborative project ideas. One
possibility would be to engage representatives from publishing houses,
orgs like Smithsonian, Library of Congress, major literary,
scientific, arts awards like Penn Faulkner, Caldecott, Balzan prize,
National Medal of Science,etc. to develop virtual speaker series
leveraging high end VC over the international fabric of r&e networks
to allow the public to engage these great minds in our country's
public living rooms - our public libraries.
- the Malace Domestic mystery writer convention
http://malicedomestic.org was mentioned as another possible group to
engage.
+ Next steps - continue to send ideas to the listserv on groups we
could approach about setting up virtual speaker series.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, December 18
Start time: 8am Hawaii/9am Alaska/11am Pacific/Noon Mountain/1pm
Central/2pm Eastern
Duration: 1 hour

Wishing you all a restful Thanksgiving holiday!

Best Regards,
James

James Werle
Director, Internet2 K20 Initiative

360-499-2069

  • notes/archived video from 11/20 meeting, James Werle, 11/21/2012