ivclibrarians - Notes 10/16 meeting

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

Notes 10/16 meeting

  • From: James Werle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Notes 10/16 meeting
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:36:39 -0700

Thanks for joining the call last week.  Here are a few notes.

+ Judy Graves, Library of Congress, offered an overview of the videoconferencing programming and other resources available to
libraries.   http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/videoconf

Judy was kind enough to share her wonderful slide deck here - https://internet2.box.com/s/89ie91ofp7z97fqo7oe9

+ Don Means, Digital Village - Don briefed the group on the “Gigabit Libraries Network” (GLN).  Please see the overview
of the effort - https://internet2.box.com/s/7es4tjzadaw2ylosa24q
Contact Don to learn more and get involved in GLN

+ Jennifer Oxenford, MAGPI - Discussed the upcoming MegaConference event and the opportunities for libraries to participate.
  - http://www.megaconference.org
  - https://blogs.internet2.edu/archives/874

- Over the years, the Megaconference has provided our community with a venue to test the limits of video collaboration technology while making personal connections around the world.
- Public Libraries and the local communities they serve are welcome to participate!
- Megaconference will be held all over the world on December 4th, 2012 from 12:00 GMT - 12:00 GMT (that's 7am EST - 7am EST).
- REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!!  See the event website above.
- Contact Ben Fineman at Internet2 if you have any questions.

+ Elaine Shuck, Director Education, Polycom - led the group in a discussion on  how to engage authors for virtual author talks with a variety of audiences.

- The group expressed an interest in collaborating together to organize shared author talks.  We'll continue to pursue this opportunity on our next call.

2012 Meeting Schedule

+ Tuesday, November 20
+ Tuesday, December 18

+ Start time: 8am Hawaii/9am Alaska/11am Pacific/Noon Mountain/1pm Central/2pm Eastern
+ Duration: 1 hour

Best,
James

James Werle
Director, Internet2 K20 Initiative
360-499-2069
http://k20.internet2.edu

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM, James Werle <> wrote:

> All,
>
> Our next meeting is Tuesday October 16 @ 8am Hawaii/9am Alaska/11am
> Pacific/Noon Mountain/1pm Central/2pm Eastern.   A draft agenda is
> below along with instructions on how to join the meeting via video
> conferencing, phone bridge, and live webstream.
>
> Please RSVP here if you plan to attend - http://bit.ly/yMEP4f
> Hope to see you next Tuesday.
>
> DRAFT AGENDA:
>
> + Ben Fineman, Internet2 - Discuss the upcoming MegaConference event
> and the opportunities for libraries to participate.
>   - http://www.megaconference.org
>   - https://blogs.internet2.edu/archives/874
>
> + Don Means, Digital Village - Don will brief the group on the
> “Gigabit Libraries Network” (GLN)
>   -  "GLN envisions an open global relationship network of gig-ready
> and gig-aspiring library facilities, systems or consortia cooperating
> as a distributed development, testbed and showcase environment for
> high performance applications that utilize big bandwidth to serve an
> array of educational, civic and cultural purposes."
>
> + Judy Graves, Library of Congress, will provide an overview of the
> videoconferencing programming and other resources available to
> libraries.  There will be opportunities to ask
> questions and brainstorm possibilities. (TENTATIVE)
>   - http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/videoconf
>
> + {Your agenda item here}
>
> MEETING DETAILS
>
> Date: Tuesday, October 16
> Start time: 8am Hawaii/9am Alaska/11am Pacific/Noon Mountain/1pm
> Central/2pm Eastern
> Duration: 1 hour
>
> LIVE WEBSTREAM
>
> All of the K20 Librarians meetings are streamed live at
> http://video.magpi.net/.
> Click on "Live Videos" to view the live stream.
>
> Please note: If you are behind a firewall and having problems viewing the
> webstream you may need to open port 1935 TCP for video.magpi.net to work
> properly. If you continue to have problems with the webstream, please contact
> your firewall administrator.
>
> PHONE BRIDGE INFO:
>
> +1-734-615-7474 (preferred) or +1-866-411-0013 (use only if free Long
> Distance service is not available) PIN 0176476#
>
> DAY OF EVENT VIDEOCONFERENCE DIALING INSTRUCTIONS:
>
> IP Dialing - Dial
>

> GDS Dialing Directions -
> 1. Register with a GDS-enabled Gatekeeper.
> To borrow space see: http://commons.internet2.edu/reggate.html
> 2. Dial 001189780 9023 (no spaces)
>
> VIDEO TESTING INSTRUCTIONS:
>
> You can dial either of the following numbers to test your units ahead of time:
> GDS: 0011897801234 (If you are not registered, please see above for
> more information)
> IP:
>
> For more information about our Always Available testing facilities, please
> visit:  https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/I2commons/H.323+Testing+Instructions.
>
> COMMENTS:

> [...]

  • Notes 10/16 meeting, James Werle, 10/23/2012