ivclibrarians - "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting

Subject: K-20 librarians interactive video conferencing

"Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting

  • From: "Horan, Catherine" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:18:29 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hi all,
1) Please describe your past experience or interest in using videoconferencing within your organization.

For the past 8 years I have been the library at a suburban middle school (grades 6-8). This year, my principal asked me to be the point person for videoconferencing in our school. In September our school received grant money that went toward the purchase of videoconferencing equipment. Our "virtual classroom" has been up and running for a little over two months and we've participated in 10 videoconferences with a variety of providers. Our experiences have ranged from professional development for small groups of teachers to an international, interactive experience for a class of 40 seventh graders. As I've had no past experience in the videoconferencing arena it's been quite a steep learning curve.

2) What's the most important thing you hope to get out of participating in this group?

By participating in this group I hope to gain the knowledge necessary to help me integrate videoconferencing into our curriculum in a meaningful way for students. I also hope to connect with other librarians and exchange ideas for utilizing videoconferencing within our school community.

3) Are there specific questions, topics, collaborative activities you'd like the group to explore together?

I'm interested in exploring best practices for using videoconferencing with students and teachers.  It would also be helpful to exchange feedback about particular content providers. Who's offering great programs? Whose programs are not so great? Etc.

I look forward to meeting everyone next week. Have a nice weekend.

Catherine Horan
Librarian
Radnor Middle School

"To be information literate, a person must be able to recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information." ALA 1989

  • "Videoconferencing Librarians Interest Group" Dec 8th meeting, Horan, Catherine, 12/02/2011