isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] FASST Login Problems, data not saving

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] FASST Login Problems, data not saving

  • From: John Todd <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] FASST Login Problems, data not saving
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:25:15 -0500

At 10:13 AM -0300 2008/5/14, Tony Graziano wrote:

I have been trying, without success to add a trailing ! character at the
end of a doman name we have using the FASST tool. When I view the record
via FASST it seems to show up but is never reflected in a dig on the
Internet.

dig shows:
4.3.2.1.xxx.freenum.org. 86400 IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+sip"
"!^\\+*([^\\*]*)!sip:\\"
.

When I was able to login and VIEW it was showing

4.3.2.1.xxx.freenum.org. 86400 IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "E2U+sip"
"!^\\+*([^\\*]*)!sip:\\!"
.

I also am not able to put in a web url in the contact info, it seems
when i do try that and save, I can no longer login to FASST, getting a
"500" error.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Tony -
We don't actually push the DNS records immediately from the FASST tool to the DNS - we process changes in a batch every 30 minutes, and sometimes then it is even up to an hour for the changes to filter out to all of our primary authoritative resolvers, and then possibly even longer to show up in whatever resolver you're using. I just took a look at the DNS, and it seems that the resolver I am using shows the data with the "!" at the end of your NAPTR now (not included for privacy reasons). Sorry for the delay, but pushing updates at the moment that someone made changes to the database would quickly lead to a lot of noise on our DNS machines, and also would possibly open us up to some race conditions which might have significant impact on our performance.

To your second point: yes, it appears since yesterday evening we were throwing "500" errors due to a wedged process on the parser. I've restarted the process (uptime of 4 months, so not bad!) and all seems to be well. Thanks for letting us know - the monitoring system didn't catch it, and we'll have to write something that triggers on that behavior in the future.

JT

John Todd

http://www.freenum.org/