isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] Format of NAPTR records

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] Format of NAPTR records

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] Format of NAPTR records
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 21:04:02 -0400

From: James Cloos
<>

[1] 'sed-like' is nowhere near specific enough; either interpretation
remains possible w/o further guidance.

It's certainly not specified well enough.

(Though I can argue in principle that in the numerous situations in
Unix-land where search-and-replace is done with this sort of syntax,
the replacement string always replaces only the substring matched --
sed, vi, bash ("${parameter/pattern/string}"), Perl. I suspect all
these examples were copied from sed, directly or indirectly.)

And clearly implementors have presumed that the proper result is to
replace the entire input with the replacement string, rather than
just the matched input.

This should be brought up on the appropriate ietf wg (whichever one
that is :).

Is it agreed that ISN translations should work the same way as ENUM
translations? If so, I can track down the ENUM people and find out
what is intended with ENUM.

But I agree that it would be more robust to change over as many ISN
naptr RRs as possible to match Dale's suggestion. It can't break
anything and it just might fix things for some users (if any are
experiencing problems due to differing interpretations of the rfcs).

Pingtel Corp. is about to install its NAPTR record (*421). We'll use
it as a test case.

It's good to hear that Asterisk and SER handle either version. And
sipX will soon...

Dale

Dale Worley

--
Students ask me, "You've administered in the university and in
business and in government. What's the difference?" And I say I