isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] Format of NAPTR records

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] Format of NAPTR records

  • From: Dale Worley <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] Format of NAPTR records
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:56:29 -0400

From: John Todd
<>

1) A modified NAPTR configured with the updated regexp as you
describe has been installed for ITAD 256 (mine.) Asterisk correctly
parses the regexp to come up with the correct result (try "1234*256"
and it should result in
)

It's good to know that.

What I fear has been going on is that people have been
coding-to-example rather than coding-to-spec, and there was a minor
error in the first example.

At a deeper level, we need to settle what the spec really is,
especially since it is to some degree unwritten.

There is also the treachery that if an application's NAPTR processing
is general rather than carefully tweaked to work for ISN (and probably
little else), it's almost impossible to process both the current ISN
NAPTRs and (what I think are) the correct ISN NAPTRs and get to the
destination.

Action plan...

Is it an assumption that ISN NAPTRs are to be processed as much as
possible like ENUM NAPTRs? It looks like that to me, and if that is
what is intended, we can compare notes with the ENUM people to gain
some insight into this problem.

Dale