isn-discuss - Re: [isn-discuss] ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?

Subject: Discussion List for Freenum/ITAD Subscriber Number (ISN) Project

Re: [isn-discuss] ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?

  • From: (Dennis Baron)
  • To: Kurt Zoglmann <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [isn-discuss] ISN dialing, numeric alternative to * key ?
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:27:20 -0400

Interesting ideas.

> The only question that comes to mind is how are the pulses converted
> to DTMF for asterisk to consume? I don't know. Is there an off the
> shelf solution?

I don't know Asterisk. I suspect that you could do this with a
non-ISDN trunk. I suspect Asterisk can deal with "dial pulse"
signalling.

The two time out idea is interesting. I suspect that traditional PBXs
wouldn't be able to deal with that. Again, I Asterisk probably could.

We're using Asterisk at MIT to collect the digits - because we
couldn't get our PBX to do the right thing. So you dial an access
code "*0"; which will connect to Asterisk; Asterisk will ask for the
user number and a "*"; then ask for a domain number and a "#". Or at
least that's the current idea. But we aren't worrying about
supporting rotary dial phones. And we're not worrying about
supporting touch-tone phones that don't have "*" and "#". And we
decided that we did want to send calling number - so we are using a
PRI - which I think precludes doing a "cut-through" trunk to pass dial
pulses. But otherwise the "two timeout" idea may be a better idea
than my "trailing ITAD length" suggestion.

Dennis