intl-info - International Participation in Megaconference Jr.

Subject: Information on Internet2 activities in the international arena.

International Participation in Megaconference Jr.

  • From: Ana Preston <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Jennifer MacDougall <>, Robert Sibley <>, Heather BOYLES <>
  • Subject: International Participation in Megaconference Jr.
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:49:43 -0500

Dear colleagues:
We'd like to bring up to your attention an upcoming event that promises to be unique and incredibly interesting. Below is the invitation - please distribute to those in your countries that you think may be interested. If you are in need of more information, please contact Jennifer MacDougall <>

Dear Internet2 International Partners,

Several years ago Internet2 created the K-20 initiative to assist elementary, secondary and undergraduate schools, and other educational and cultural institutions in utilizing the resources and knowledge developed by Internet2 institutions and programs to enhance their goals. Now one of the oldest and most successful Internet2 applications has spawned an offspring for elementary and secondary schools. Megaconference, founded by Bob Dixon at Ohio State University, held its fifth and most successful annual event in December with 187 institutions in 28 countries participating remotely via video conferencing technology over high-speed networks.

This May 6th the fist annual Megaconference Jr., an international student-run videoconference-based educational conference, will be held. Megaconference Jr. is being organized by a small group of volunteer teachers, students, school technology leaders and Internet2 networking groups. Serious planning for the event is now underway with colleagues in the US and several other countries. The goal is to develop a valuable international educational program in schools that currently have access to high-speed networks, which can expand as the technology becomes more widely available. There are two aspects to this event that the organizers believe are critical to success. The first is that students play a central role in all aspects of organizing and providing program content, and the second is that it be a truly international event.

We strongly encourage Internet2 International MoU and partner organizations and networks to participate in this important effort by encouraging appropriate primary or secondary schools in their country to participate in Megaconference Jr., and, where necessary, assisting them in accessing your high speed network so that they can participate. Information on the Megaconference Jr. May 6th event is available at http://megaconferencejr.cciu.org/. Please contact Jennifer MacDougall at for details on how you can help this important new advanced networking initiative.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Megaconference Jr. Advisory Team

ListProc web interface at