intl-info - Internet2 International: Spring Member meeting highlights

Subject: Information on Internet2 activities in the international arena.

Internet2 International: Spring Member meeting highlights

  • From: Ana Preston <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Internet2 International: Spring Member meeting highlights
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:56:09 -0400

[apologies for duplicate copies}

Internet2 International Highlights - Spring 2003 Member Meeting

On this email:
* Note from Internet2 International Relations
* Internet2 International Highlights - Spring 2003 Member Meeting
* Information on Netcast of this Spring 2003 meeting
* Internet2 International Web Site Feedback

* International Partnerships and Internet2
International aspects of the development of high-performance applications, technology and network infrastructure are of strategic importance to the overall goals and objectives of Internet2.  Internet2's international partners bring a wealth of expertise, infrastructure and initiative to the Internet2 community.  On behalf of Internet2, we are extremely grateful for all of these ongoing contributions!

We very much look forward to seeing those of you who can attend our meeting in person, and for those of you who will not be present, we do hope we have other opportunities this year where we can talk further with you and learn more about your projects and initiatives.

* Internet2 International  - Spring 2003 Member meeting highlights
Check out these Internet2 Member Meeting sessions highlighting Internet2 international partners, international projects and the contributions of various people from international partner organizations to Internet2. A complete schedule and final agendas for all international-related meetings can now be found at <http://international.internet2.edu/resources/events/2003/SpringMMintl.html>
Please note that all sessions will be at the Crystal Gateway Marriott Hotel in Arlington, VA.
If you have any questions about any international-related activity during this Spring meeting, please don't hesitate to contact us (Ana Preston <> or Heather Boyles <>)

+ TUESDAY, APRIL 8:
1:00PM-5:00pm   Internet2 International Task Force  Part 1 (Salon J & K)
The ITF is made up of representatives from each of the organizations with whom Internet2 has partnered through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). The ITF serves as the forum for discussion of international issues relevant to the development of a high-performance, leading-edge network infrastructure, advanced technologies and applications for research and education. A complete agenda is available at <http://international.internet2.edu/resources/events/2003/ITF_part1.html>

+ WEDNESDAY, APRIL 9:
7:30AM-12:00pm   International Task Force Meeting - Part 2  (Salon J & K)
This session will aim at exploring the different approaches being taken to the deployment of "optical networks" in many parts of the world.  Following presentations from panelists, there will be a moderated discussion. Check out the latest agenda at <http://international.internet2.edu/resources/events/2003/ITF_part2.html>

3:00PM-4:15pm  Using Interactive Video for Education over Internet2/Virtual Cheering--A Java TV Application for Interactive TV/Poli Virtual Project  (Salon K)
This session will include presentations from international partners using high performance video and applications. Presenters will include: Tereza Cristina Carvalho (LARC-USP/FAPESP), Regina Silveira (LARC-USP), and Tatiana AIres Tavares (RNP)

+ THURSDAY, 10 April:
7:00AM-9:00am   International Videoconferencing Coordination Forum  Salon A
Representatives from International Partner organizations, non-US NRENs, Internet2 members and staff will gather to explore video, voice, and other collaborative infrastructures. Interested participants will discuss how to better coordinate collaboration internationally.

8:45AM-10:00am   e-VLBI: A High-Data-Rate Radio-Astronomy Application for Internet2  (Salon J)
Very-Long-Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) is one of the most powerful techniques available for the high-resolution imaging of distant radio sources in the universe and for making accurate measurements of the motion of the earth in space. MIT Haystack Observatory, in collaboration with the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, has recently been awarded a grant by NSF to develop new IP protocols specifically tailored to applications such as e-VLBI.

10:30AM-11:45am   Taking Advantage of International Connectivity and  Leveraging Global Collaboration  (Salon III)
This session will highlight exemplary collaborations between Internet2 members and international partners that are taking advantage of international connectivity to support research and education. In the format of case studies, the primary goals of this session will aim at: 1) highlighting the value of international connectivity and international partnerships to the Internet2 community 2) highlighting what members of the Internet2 community are doing with International partners and providing a forum to share projects and lessons learned. After the case studies, we'll have an informal question and answer session between presenters and audience. A complete agenda can be found at <http://international.internet2.edu/resources/events/2003/Globalcasestudies.html>

11:45AM-1:15pm  BoF: Reaching Collaborators in Hard to Network Parts of the World   (Salon F)
This Birds of a Feather session follows on a successful first BoF on this topic at last Fall's Internet2 Member Meeting. This BoF is intended to provide a forum for people engaged in projects that require access to remote resources and projects that are attempting to deploy network infrastructure in under-served and remote areas as well as people who may bring resources (funding, technical and many more) to all of these efforts. More information on this BoF can be found at <http://international.internet2.edu/resources/events/2003/HardtoreachBOF.html>

1:15PM-2:30pm   Research, Prevention and Global Health (Salon B)
Following from the discussion on "Reaching Collaborators in Hard to Network Parts of the World" this session will focus on the role of the Internet2 Health Sciences community and projects by members to further the cause of prevention of diseases and global health in areas not just where there are dedicated Internet2-type networks, but also in those where there may not be any dedicated research and education networking. A complete agenda of this session is at <http://international.internet2.edu/resources/events/2003/globalhealth.html>

3:00PM-4:15pm   Logistical Networking as an Advanced Engineering Testbed  (Salon J)
Logistical Networking places storage servers (or depots) throughout the network and enables flexible transfer of data to, from and between them as an overlay service to applications. In this session, we will discuss how these depots are used as a test bed for advanced network technologies, including IP multicast, IPv6, self-tuned high performance TCP transfers and wide area storage networking.

4:45PM-6:00pm   Inter-Continental Distributed Collaborations in the Performing Arts  (Salon H)
A current project in development with partners in Korea and Australia will span six months of distributed collaboration and creation, and result in a full evening premiere at several major international festivals, linked with Access Grid and other I2-enabled technologies. The presentation for the Spring 2003 Internet2 Member Meeting will detail what we have done so far, and how we are designing present and future distributed collaboration environments, including our new Research, Education and Visualization Environment (REVE).

+ FRIDAY, 11 APRIL:
8:45AM-10:00am    Frontiers of Authentication and Authorization
(Salon J)
Our understanding of the architectures for campus authentication and authorization services is increasing as several leading-edge efforts bear fruit. WebISO activities, new basic authentication technologies, and credential converters are being fit together. In authorization, constructionist approaches that leverage registries, directories and groups are being melded with external authorization languages and services. This session will discuss the leadership efforts in both the US and Europe, and attempt to tie them all together.

* Netcast of this Spring meeting
If you cannot join us in Arlington, you can watch the netcasts of several sessions.  Our virtual audience will also have the option of participating interactively via H.323 videoconferencing hosted by the Internet2 Commons. We encourage you to engage actively in these sessions. The complete list of netcast sessions and options for viewing can be found by following the link listed below.
<htp://events.internet2.edu/2003/spring-mm/netcast.html>

* International Web site Feedback
We are in the process of conducting an overhaul of our International web pages (http://international.internet2.edu) and would very much like your input. If you are interested in providing us feedback, please contact Ana Preston <>. We will be asking for your feedback at the upcoming meeting too!

Best Regards,

Ana Preston/Heather Boyles
Internet2 International

Ana Preston | Program Manager, International Relations
UCAID - Internet2
2345 Dunford Hall, 915 Volunteer Blvd.
The University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996
v. 865.974.2923 | f. 865.974.4810 | m. 865.368.3151

  • Internet2 International: Spring Member meeting highlights, Ana Preston, 04/07/2003