intl-info - Internet2 at INET99: Call for Demos

Subject: Information on Internet2 activities in the international arena.

Internet2 at INET99: Call for Demos

  • From: Ted Hanss <>
  • To: , , , , , , ,
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Internet2 at INET99: Call for Demos
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:57:03 -0400

Please circulate ...

Internet2 Demo Booth at INET99
Showcasing Global Advanced Applications Partnerships

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
http://apps.internet2.edu/demos99

PROPOSAL DEADLINE 30 APRIL 1999

Working with the Internet Society and the National Laboratory for Applied
Network Research, we are providing an Internet2 Demonstration Booth at
INET99 (www.isoc.org/inet99). INET99 takes place from 22-25 June 1999 at
the San Jose Convention Center, San Jose, California. Thousands of
networking leaders from around the world will attend this annual meeting of
the Internet Society. Therefore, this is a great chance to show off your
application and perhaps establish new collaborations.

Our 20 by 25 foot booth will feature four to six university-led
demonstrations. The emphasis is on demonstrating innovative international
applications partnerships, but we invite any submissions that illustrate
the impact of next generation research and education applications. You do
not need to be an Internet2 member to submit an application, but you do
need to have access to the vBNS or Abilene or a network that peers with the
vBNS or Abilene (e.g., through STARTAP). University/corporate and
university/government partnerships are welcome.

The National Laboratory for Applied Network Research (www.nlanr.net) will
provide an ImmersaDesk for applications that run on that platform (we will
schedule demos to share access to the ImmersaDesk). All other equipment
must be provided by the demo teams. If you need assistance in locating
loaner equipment, we can facilitate some contacts.

We are putting in a high performance link to CalREN2, which will provide us
access to both the vBNS and Abilene, and thus to STARTAP (www.startap.net)
and its international connections. This network is separate from the floor
network that is being provided by the INET organizers. All demos in the
Internet2 booth are expected to run in the wide area, across the vBNS
and/or Abilene within the U.S. and across the STARTAP for international links.

[Note: Corporations with booths at INET99 who wish to attach to the
Internet2 network connection can do so for the purposes of showcasing a
university/corporate partnership. The network connection will be provided
only for that machine or machines being used for the university/corporate
application demonstration. All other connections in the corporate booth
must go to the INET floor network. If you are interested in connecting to
the Internet2 network, please contact Ted Hanss.]

Exhibitor setup takes place on Monday and Tuesday (21 and 22 June). All
booths must be operational by 11:00 Tuesday morning, in time for the press
tour. The demos end at 1:00 p.m. on Friday 25 June.

To nominate your application, please fill out the questionnaire
(http://apps.internet2.edu/demos99/question.htm) by Friday 30 April. Please
note the criteria listed on the questionnaire. We will approve demos as
they come in, so please don't wait until the deadline to submit. If you
have questions about whether your demo is appropriate, fill out the
questionnaire first and then contact Ted Hanss at

or at
+1.734.913.4250.

  • Internet2 at INET99: Call for Demos, Ted Hanss, 04/15/1999