icn-rsch - [icn-rsch] Introduction

Subject: ICN

[icn-rsch] Introduction

  • From: Stephen Wolff <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [icn-rsch] Introduction
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 20:46:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

All,

As you know, the Cisco hardware is shipping, and after basic installation
some technical tasks remain - e.g., connection to the AL2S mesh, and API(s)
for moving data.

After all that is complete, and we have an up-and-running ICN testbed, the
question is "What do we do with it?"

I believe it is by no means too soon to start addressing that question, so I
would like us to start. From my relatively untutored viewpoint, I can see
three general areas for work:

* R&D of the technology and of testbed itself - e.g.,
fragmentation/reassembly, forwarding, cacheing… A subset of this area is
participation in the efforts to harmonize CCNx and NDN protocols,

* Issues surrounding using ICN to move data in our chosen initial domain of
science application, genomics, and

* Topics in the intersection requiring one foot in network R&D and one foot
in the science application (naming, for example).

To facilitate the discussion, I’ve created the list
.
If you’re reading this, you’re subscribed(!). If you know others who
should be on the list, please let me know.

1. If your involvement with the ICN testbed is mostly (or purely) custodial
or administrative please feel free to unsubscribe or put us on your spam list.

2. If on the other hand you are interested in working on one or more of the
“What do we do now?” bullet points above (or any other relevant issue),
PLEASE collect your thoughts and send a brief summary to us via this list
<>.

I have no wish to over-organize, to prescribe, to proscribe, or otherwise
interfere with testbed activities. But I *do* want to start a discussion to
define and plan some projects “shovel-ready” (to use an old phrase) so that
as soon as the testbed is operational we can start using it to repay our
sponsors - PARC, Cisco, and Internet2 - for their generous investment.

Thank you for your participation in the ICN testbed.

Onward!

-steve

stephen wolff
Principal Scientist
Internet2
+1 202 803 8971

  • [icn-rsch] Introduction, Stephen Wolff, 01/23/2017