i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Releases First Software and Practices Through Trust and Identity Program

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Releases First Software and Practices Through Trust and Identity Program

  • From: Elizabeth Boten <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Releases First Software and Practices Through Trust and Identity Program
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 14:26:13 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Liz Boten,

Internet2 Releases First Software and Practices Through Trust and Identity Program

Community members align to develop and sustain trust and identity solutions for campuses

WASHINGTON, DC, May 12, 2016 -- Internet2 has announced the release of the first version of software and practices under the TIER (Trust and Identity in Education and Research) program. Internet2’s TIER program is a community-driven consistent approach to identity and access management, and aims to simplify campus processes and advance inter-institutional collaboration and research.

TIER Release 1 packages three open-source software components (Grouper, Shibboleth Identity Provider, and COmanage Registry) together and provides a first look at a container-based distribution. This approach, and the use of APIs, will become more important as time goes on and these software tools become more integrated.

"The TIER software requirements and development result from significant work by the R&E community," said Kevin Morooney, vice president, trust and identity services. "The ultimate goal of TIER is the integration of community-developed open-source trust and identity software components into a manageable and complete identity and access management suite, supported by common campus practices. The community has come together to develop these principles and solutions, proving that we can and will flourish by developing and sustaining best practices as it relates to identity management."

"The work we are doing together on TIER may be the most important work we have done as a community in the last ten years," said Ron Kraemer, chief information and digital officer, University of Notre Dame. "I believe we are making an investment in our future that has the potential to transform service delivery across higher education."

Next week, Internet2 will convene leaders in research and education at the 2016 Global Summit in Chicago. The event will feature a track of sessions on advances within the TIER program, and in the area of trust and identity in general.

Learn more about TIER Release 1.

About Internet2

Internet2 is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research and community service missions.

Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, with Internet2 Network Operations Center powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 90,000 community anchor institutions, 305 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 42 regional and state education networks, 84 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries.

Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, MI; Denver, CO; Emeryville, CA; Washington, DC; and West Hartford, CT. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow@Internet2 on Twitter.

  • [I2-NEWS] Press Release: Internet2 Releases First Software and Practices Through Trust and Identity Program, Elizabeth Boten, 05/12/2016