i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Press Release: Internet2 Mourns Loss of Board of Trustees Member Elizabeth (Beth) Garrett

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Press Release: Internet2 Mourns Loss of Board of Trustees Member Elizabeth (Beth) Garrett

  • From: Elizabeth Boten <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Press Release: Internet2 Mourns Loss of Board of Trustees Member Elizabeth (Beth) Garrett
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 14:41:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Liz Boten,

Internet2 Mourns Loss of Board of Trustees Member Elizabeth (Beth) Garrett

WASHINGTON, D.C., March 9, 2016 – Elizabeth (Beth) Garrett, president of Cornell University and Internet2 Board of Trustees member passed away on Sunday, March 6.

A long-time Internet2 community member, Garrett became the 13th president of Cornell University on July 1, 2015, and held faculty appointments in the Law School, the Department of Government in the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management. A distinguished legal scholar with a record of public service, she came to Cornell from the University of Southern California, where she was provost and senior vice president for academic affairs. She was the first woman to serve as president of Cornell.

In Garrett's role as provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at the University of Southern California, she oversaw the USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences as well as the Keck School of Medicine of USC and 16 other professional schools, in addition to the divisions of student affairs, research, libraries, information technology services, student religious life and enrollment services. She was also actively involved in the Keck Medical Center of USC, sitting on the USC Health Systems Board that oversees three hospitals and 18 clinical practices, as well as chairing the Keck Medical Center Oversight Committee.

Garrett was actively involved in the last few years with the Internet2 community. Since 2013, she served as a Board of Trustees member offering substantial contributions to Internet2 and the broader research and education community. Garrett also served on the Internet2 Audit and Finance Committee.

“Beth was an exemplary colleague, friend and trusted advisor, and this is a terrible tragedy for the academic community. Her passion for higher education, the institutions she worked for, and students and faculty everywhere inspired many,” said David Leebron, president of Rice University and chair of the Internet2 Board of Trustees. "Her valuable and always insightful contributions to the work on the Internet2 board will be sorely missed. All who had the privilege of working with Beth admired her brilliance, warmth, determination and enthusiasm. Her influence on the higher education and research endeavors will be remembered and celebrated. Our sympathy goes out especially to Beth’s family and to the Cornell community as we all mourn this untimely loss."

"Internet2 is deeply saddened to have lost a dear colleague and friend," said Dave Lambert, Internet2, President and CEO. "Beth was truly an inspiration-- a bright, driven, and passionate member of our community, who truly devoted her life to taking R&E to new heights. This is an incredible loss and our thoughts are with her husband Professor Andrei Marmour, her family and friends, and the students and faculty at Cornell University."

Cornell University honored Garrett's memory with a moment of silence, followed by chimes, on March 7 at 4:00pm EST and also plans to host a memorial gathering at the Ithaca campus in the near future.

About Internet2

Internet2 is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research and community service missions.

Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, with Internet2 Network Operations Center powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 90,000 community anchor institutions, 305 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 42 regional and state education networks, 84 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries.

Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, MI; Denver, CO; Emeryville, CA; Washington, DC; and West Hartford, CT. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Press Release: Internet2 Mourns Loss of Board of Trustees Member Elizabeth (Beth) Garrett, Elizabeth Boten, 03/09/2016