i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Mourns Loss of Community Member James (Jim) Archuleta

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Mourns Loss of Community Member James (Jim) Archuleta

  • From: Elizabeth Boten <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Mourns Loss of Community Member James (Jim) Archuleta
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:09:05 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

January 25, 2016

Community Announcement

James Archuleta, Ciena Corporation's Director of Enterprise and Government Marketing, and longtime Internet2 community member and friend, passed away on Saturday, January 16. Archuleta was well known and respected throughout the Research and Education community.

Archuleta was a pivotal contributor to Internet2’s federal stimulus-funded NTIA Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP) award in 2010. There were three primary infrastructure thrusts to the award: acquisition of a dark fiber pair on a national footprint, installation of a 100G capable optical system, and upgrade of the Layer2/3 infrastructure to provide 100G transport across the footprint. Archuleta took on a strategic leadership role in the discussions and engagements that ultimately helped secure critical matching funds for Internet2, enabling the community to benefit from the next generation of broadband network infrastructure to support the efforts and programs of the broader R&E community.

"Jim’s passing is a huge personal and professional loss," said Rob Vietzke, Internet2, vice president, network services. "Without Jim's work, passion and commitment, the Internet2 community simply wouldn't be where we are today. Jim brought great humor, candor, dedication and results consistently to our partnership with Ciena and was a wonderful collaborator."

Archuleta consistently gave his time and energy to Internet2 and to engage with the community as a whole. He was a frequent speaker at Internet2 events and also served as an industry representative on many Internet2 advisory groups, with the most recent being the Internet2 Global Summit Program Committee, which convened to shape and select upcoming educational programming at the Internet2 2016 Global Summit.

"Jim was an amazing human being. He was full of vitality and optimism, and was never without a smile," said Ann O'Beay, Internet2, senior director of industry relations and community engagement. "Jim made great contributions to Internet2 and to research and education. He was constantly brimming with ideas and personified teamwork and professionalism. He’ll be sorely missed."

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Mourns Loss of Community Member James (Jim) Archuleta, Elizabeth Boten, 01/25/2016