i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens Search for Chief Innovation Officer

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens Search for Chief Innovation Officer

  • From: Glenn Lipscomb <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens Search for Chief Innovation Officer
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:46:03 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Internet2 Opens Search for Chief Innovation Officer

Distinguished Higher Education and Industry Leaders Comprise Search Committee To Fill Essential Leadership Role

WASHINGTON, D.C.—(October 27, 2014)--Internet2 announced today that it is actively seeking a Chief Innovation Officer (CINO) to join the Internet2 executive leadership team. A distinguished panel of higher education and corporate leaders has been assembled from the Internet2 community to spearhead the search.

Internet2 has a rich history of driving new innovations and leading technical advancements for research and education across advanced networking and infrastructure, federated identity management, and cloud services.   The primary intention of the CINO role is to stimulate and lead new collaborative initiatives in these existing areas and to proactively work with the research and education community to develop new, leading edge and innovative concepts.

This newly created position will serve as a focal point to stimulate the tremendous innovative capacity of the entire Internet2 community and to organize new technology-driven initiatives in order to create new services to help broaden the scope and value of Internet2 to its members.

“As a member driven organization one of our primary goals is to continue to fully represent the research and education community by being at the tip of the spear leading and developing new services, technologies, and innovations,” said Internet2 chief executive officer, H. David Lambert. “This new role will expand the range of what we can provide for our members and ensure their organizational success – today and into the future.”

“The Chief Innovation Officer is one that is becoming increasingly vital for organizations to foster innovation and maximize progress,” said search committee chair, John Kolb, VP for Information Services and Technology and Chief Information Officer at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. “As a new role at Internet2, I firmly believe that the CINO will serve as a catalyst for the benefit of the Internet2 research and education community.   I am extremely honored to be the committee chair working with such a tremendous collection of individuals.”

Search committee members include:

·      Steve Alexander, Senior VP and Chief Technology Officer, Ciena

·      Rosio Alvarez, Director, Information Technology Division and Chief Information Officer, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

·      Steve Corbato, Interim Chief Information Officer, University of Utah

·      Sara Graves, Ph.D., Professor and Director, Information Technology and Systems Center, University of Alabama, Huntsville

·      Klara Jelinkova, Senior Associate VP and Chief Information Technology Officer, University of Chicago

·      John Kolb, VP for Information Services and Technology and Chief Information Officer, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Committee Chair)

·      Jane Snowdon, Ph.D., Chief Innovation Officer, IBM Federal

·      Mario Vecchi, Ph.D., Chief Technology Officer, Public Broadcasting System

·      Rob Vietzke, VP, Network Services, Internet2

·      Robert F. Brammer, Ph.D., Senior Advisor to the Internet2 CEO

Additionally, Lambert has announced that Internet2 Interim CTO, Steve Wolff will be transitioning to a role of Principal Scientist for Internet2.   In his role, Steve will be focused on a wide range of activities across advanced networking, research, security, and digital information.   He will represent Internet2 executive leadership in a number of global activities focused on advancing the early adoption of effective use of advanced technologies across the Internet2 science community.  Steve will serve as an ambassador to the Internet2 researcher community and serve as a catalyst for a number of initiatives designed to enhance the technology support environment for scientists.

“Steve Wolff has been and continues to be a recognized and instrumental industry leader in advancing new innovations in the world of technology, research and science,” said Lambert.  “I want to personally thank Steve for his role representing our community as Interim CTO and I look forward to working with Steve in his new Internet2 role.”

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation’s leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research and community service missions.

Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, with Internet2 Network Operations Center powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 90,000 community anchor institutions, 250 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks, 80 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries.

Media contact:

Glenn Lipscomb, Internet2

720-379-9677

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens Search for Chief Innovation Officer, Glenn Lipscomb, 10/27/2014