i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Maricopa County Community College District Joins Internet2

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Maricopa County Community College District Joins Internet2

  • From: Glenn Lipscomb <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Maricopa County Community College District Joins Internet2
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:35:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Maricopa County Community College District Joins Internet2

First Large Community College System To Participate in Pilot Membership Effort

WASHINGTON, D.C.—September 18, 2014—Internet2 today announced that the Maricopa County Community College District is the first large community college system to join Internet2, extending a pilot membership program to assess the benefits of Internet2 membership for large multi-college systems. Previous pilot memberships involving state systems include California State University and the University of Nebraska. These systems have found Internet2’s community, network, services and cloud technologies to be particularly useful in facilitating academic collaboration and operating efficiencies across their campuses.

The Maricopa County Community College District, located in the Phoenix, AZ area, is one of the largest community college systems in the country, serving more than 230,000 for-credit and 30,000 non-credit students annually.

“Because of our size and our commitment to student success, the Maricopa Community Colleges believe that membership in Internet2 is an important step forward," said Dr. Rufus Glasper, Maricopa Chancellor. “It will allow us to further benefit our faculty, staff and students’ research and academic pursuits, as well as our joint initiatives with other universities in Arizona and throughout the nation.”

"Maricopa County Community College District is an important partner in the system of higher education in the state of Arizona, and a respected voice in the national conversation about the use and benefits of technology in higher education.  We've been happy to facilitate their access to Internet 2 services via the Sun Corridor Network, which Arizona's three public universities established to provide connectivity to the national research and education fabric.  We look forward to the valuable contributions MCCCD will bring to the Internet 2 community,” remarked Gordon Wishon, Chief Information Officer, Arizona State University, Michele Norin, Chief Information Officer and Executive Director University IT Services University of Arizona, and Fred Estrella, Chief Information Officer, Northern Arizona University.

The Maricopa Community Colleges are known for their innovative transfer agreements with the state's three universities and are recognized leaders in Greater Phoenix for workforce development initiatives. The Maricopa District plays a vital role in enhancing the state’s and county’s competitive strength and economic vitality by providing skilled workers for high demand careers such as nursing, allied health, protective services, and information technology.

“Internet2’s Community Engagement Program Advisory Group endorsed Maricopa’s membership and pilot effort to showcase their value as a large system to the Internet2 community,” said Internet2 Vice President for Community Engagement Ana Hunsinger. “I see many exciting opportunities with their involvement in the community including participating in community programs, network, global community engagement, research opportunities and the NET+ portfolio.”

About Maricopa County Community College District

The Maricopa Community Colleges include 10 colleges – Chandler-Gilbert, Estrella Mountain, GateWay, Glendale, Mesa, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Rio Salado, Scottsdale and South Mountain. It also includes a Corporate College, the Maricopa Skill Center, Southwest Skill Center, and several satellite campuses and business/industry, technical and customized training institutes. Each college is individually accredited, yet part of a larger system - the Maricopa County Community College District, which is one of the largest providers of higher education in the United States and is located in the fourth most populated county in the nation. For more information, visit http://www.maricopa.edu/about/ or follow @mcccd on Twitter.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions.

Internet2 also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, in which the Network Operations Center is powered by Indiana University. Internet2 serves more than 93,000 community anchor institutions, 260 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks, 80 leading corporations working with our community and more than 65 national research and education networking partners representing more than 100 countries.

Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Denver, Colo.; Emeryville, Calif.; Washington, D.C; and West Hartford, Conn. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

Media contact:

Glenn Lipscomb, Internet2, 720-379-9677 or .

###

  • [I2-NEWS] Maricopa County Community College District Joins Internet2, Glenn Lipscomb, 09/18/2014