i2-news - [I2-NEWS] 2014 Technology Exchange, Oct. 26-30 and Internet2 Global Summit News

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] 2014 Technology Exchange, Oct. 26-30 and Internet2 Global Summit News

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] 2014 Technology Exchange, Oct. 26-30 and Internet2 Global Summit News
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 17:00:26 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Here's the latest Internet2 community news re: the 2014 Technology Exchange to be held Oct. 26-30 and the 2014 Internet2 Global Summit held last week.--Todd Sedmak, Internet2 PR & Media Relations Manager

2014 Technology Exchange, Oct. 26-30, To Feature Visionary Technology Leaders Discussing Advanced Networking, Trust, Federated Identity, Cloud Services, Security and Overcoming Challenges

WASHINGTON, D.C.—April 14, 2014--Internet2, in collaboration with the Department of Energy’s Energy Sciences Network (ESnet), will convene the 2014 Technology Exchange to bring together a wide range of technical visionaries to address the challenges facing the research & education community as it supports data-intensive research. The Technology Exchange, a new annual conference, will be hosted this year by Indiana University. http://bit.ly/1qWMisn

College Campuses Nationwide Eligible to Obtain4 Electric Vehicles For “Internet of Things” Projects

Internet2 and Innova Inc., manufacturer of an all-electric micro vehicle, the Innova Dash, will debut a uniquely equipped University Electric Vehicle (UEV) during the Internet2 Global Summit, an international gathering of more than 800 advanced technology leaders from universities, research organizations, and industry. http://bit.ly/Internet2_of_Things_Project

4 Big Data Challenges that Universities Face

"In this era of big data and big science, universities must serve as a crossroads for collaboration more than they ever have," said Shirley Ann Jackson, president of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, during a general session at the 2014 Internet2 Global Summit in Denver on Tuesday, April 8. http://bit.ly/4_Big_Data_Challenges

How Open Data and Higher Ed Networks Can Decrease Poverty

Government, higher education and citizens must all come to the table and work together to solve this problem with the help of technology, said Chris Vein, chief innovation officer for global information and communications technology at the World Bank. In a keynote at the 2014 Internet2 Global Summit in Denver on Monday, April 7, Vein said that the World Bank is shooting for two goals: Nearly end extreme poverty by 2030 and grow the income of the bottom 40 percent of the population in each country. http://bit.ly/Decrease_Poverty

The OSI Model is Dead

Last week I attended Internet2’s Global Summit in Denver, Colorado. It was excellent. (In my next life, I want to be President Shirley Jackson!) For the purposes of this blog, I want to call out the third plenary session, however, as truly over the top. It was the probably the best plenary session of any conference I have ever attended. http://bit.ly/OSI_Model_is_Dead

Other Internet2 community news:

Internet2 Forms High Performance and Research Computing Program Advisory Group and Names Inaugural Co-Chairs & Members: http://bit.ly/PNOB5L

Former Internet2 Leaders Mike Roberts and Douglas Van Houweling Inducted Into Internet Hall of Fame: http://bit.ly/R3vgy9

Duke’s Tracy Futhey; Penn State’s Kevin Morooney; and Indiana’s Brent Sweeny Receive 2014 Internet2 President’s Leadership Award: http://bit.ly/1itXp8M

Colorado State’s Pat Burns Awarded Internet2 2014 Richard Rose Award For Extending Advanced Networking Into the K-20 Education Community: http://bit.ly/1koepmz

Internet2 NET+ SIP Program Generally Available To Research & Education Community: http://bit.ly/1k3U4Ae

Desire2Learn’s Integrated Learning Platform Momentum Will Continue Through Strategic Agreement With Internet2: http://bit.ly/1e5GXhR

Blackboard Joins the Internet2 Community and Will Collaborate with Internet2 Members to Provide Education Services http://prn.to/1kO0XnR

  • [I2-NEWS] 2014 Technology Exchange, Oct. 26-30 and Internet2 Global Summit News, Todd Sedmak, 04/14/2014