i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Higher Education Leaders Select Blue Jeans Network to Deliver Video Collaboration to Nearly 250 Universities Nationwide Through The Internet2 NET+ Initiative

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Higher Education Leaders Select Blue Jeans Network to Deliver Video Collaboration to Nearly 250 Universities Nationwide Through The Internet2 NET+ Initiative
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:19:41 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Higher Education Leaders Select Blue Jeans Network to Deliver Video Collaboration

to Nearly 250 Universities Nationwide Through The Internet2 NET+ Initiative

Educators, Students and Researchers Benefit from Improved Remote Participation and Access to Distance Learning with Affordable, Easy-to-Use Video Service

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA – January 15, 2014Blue Jeans Network, the global leader in interoperable video collaboration services, today announced it has completed the Internet2 NET+ service validation process and can now deliver its cloud based video collaboration platform to nearly 250 universities nationwide over the Internet2 high-speed backbone.

The Blue Jeans service, which is already in use by hundreds of universities, colleges and research facilities around the world, is now available through the Internet2 NET+ portfolio, enabling all faculty and students to connect from any device and access education inside and outside the classroom setting.

Blue Jeans has collaboratively developed a special program and pricing for the research and higher education community. Through the partnership, universities have the option of paying a fixed, flat rate price for up to three years, based on the number of faculty and staff, and get unlimited use of the Blue Jeans service; unlimited meetings, unlimited minutes, unlimited licenses, unlimited ports. In addition, students receive free access to Blue Jeans making communication with professors, staff and peers easy and more effective.

As part of the rigorous evaluation process, Blue Jeans worked closely with several Internet2 institutions, including The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, the University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of Southern Florida and the University of Michigan.

Blue Jeans allows us to leverage the significant investment we’ve made in traditional video conferencing infrastructure to meet with people connecting from consumer devices. There is no pre-certification or testing required using Blue Jeans. Users simply click a link to join, and the meeting is off and running,” said Casey Emerson, Director of Education Technology, UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy at Chapel Hill. “We find new use cases for Blue Jeans daily; it’s been used for everything from student debates, remote collaboration and presentations, to meetings with clinical faculty located in hospitals and pharmacies across the state.  Blue Jeans and the Internet2 partnership reinforce our dedication to enabling effective collaboration for our students, faculty, and staff.”

As a member-owned, advanced technology consortium, Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for members to solve technology challenges and develop innovative solutions. To become a service provider in Internet2’s NET+ initiative, Blue Jeans had to pass a series of rigorous tests and an in-depth review of security measures and controls. Blue Jeans also worked to integrate their service with other Internet2 services including a direct connection to the high-speed Internet2 Network and integration with Internet2’s InCommon identity federation, which protects and federates the online identities of more than six million individuals. Universities that sign up for Blue Jeans through Internet2 will have their traffic automatically routed over the Internet2 Network backbone and users can log in to the Blue Jeans service by using their existing university credentials, for seamless single sign-on support.

“In today’s age of information sharing, the Internet2 community requires video collaboration platforms that are high-quality, affordable, easy-to-use and can be easily administered through our various universities. Blue Jeans passed the community developed Internet2 NET+ certification program with flying colors,” said Shelton Waggener, senior vice president for Internet2. “Blue Jeans provides a cloud-based service, which eliminates the need for costly and complex hardware. It is refreshing to have face-to-face interactions with colleagues across the country by simply clicking on a link.”

“Internet2 and Blue Jeans have a natural synergy; we are both focused on the power of collaboration,” said Krish Ramakrishnan, co-founder and CEO of Blue Jeans Network. “Communicating through email and audio calls is ok, but real-time, face-to-face collaboration is far more impactful. Our mission is to make video meetings so easy that anyone with a camera-enabled computer, phone or tablet can turn their device into a video conferencing system, resulting in more meaningful personal connections. The Internet2 partnership gives faculty and students an effective collaboration tool for every day use.”

For more details on the partnership, Blue Jeans and Internet2 will be conducting a videocast on Feb. 6 at 1 p.m. EST to dive deeper into how customers can take advantage of the new certification. To register for the videocast, visit http://pages.bluejeans.com/bluejeans-and-internet2-netplus-i2.html. To sign up for a free 14-day trial visit http://internet2.bluejeans.com.

About Internet2®
Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions.

Internet2® also operates the nation’s largest and fastest, coast-to-coast research and education network, and serves more than 90,000 community anchor institutions, including more than 245 U.S. universities, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks, 60 leading corporations working with our community and more than 100 national research and education networking partners representing more than 50 countries. Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Emeryville, Calif.; Washington, D.C; and West Hartford, CT. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

About Blue Jeans Network

At Blue Jeans Network, our mission is to make video communications as easy and pervasive as audio communications, enabling more effective collaboration at work, at home, and on the road. Our cloud-based conferencing service makes this possible by enabling customers to connect with each other seamlessly anytime, anywhere, and from practically any device. The Blue Jeans Network extends high quality video communications beyond the traditional boundaries of specialized conference rooms and into the mainstream, allowing individuals and employees throughout an enterprise to interact more effectively with each other, and with their customers, partners, suppliers, family, and friends. Blue Jeans Network is a private company headquartered in Mountain View, California. For more information go to: http://bluejeans.com or follow the company @BlueJeansNet

Media Contacts:

Morgan Mathis
Highwire for Blue Jeans Network
415-963-4174 x37

Todd Sedmak
Internet2
202-803-8978

  • [I2-NEWS] Higher Education Leaders Select Blue Jeans Network to Deliver Video Collaboration to Nearly 250 Universities Nationwide Through The Internet2 NET+ Initiative, Todd Sedmak, 01/15/2014