i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 CTO Steve Wolff To Be Inducted Into Internet Hall of Fame

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 CTO Steve Wolff To Be Inducted Into Internet Hall of Fame

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 CTO Steve Wolff To Be Inducted Into Internet Hall of Fame
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 05:35:16 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Internet2 Chief Technology Officer Steve Wolff To Be Inducted Into Internet Hall of Fame

Aug. 3 event to be streamed live from Berlin, Germany

WASHINGTON, D.C.—(July 31, 2013)--Internet2 Chief Technology Officer Steve Wolff will be inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame on Saturday, Aug. 3 in Berlin, Germany. The ceremony will be streamed live starting at noon EDT at https://new.livestream.com/internetsociety/2013internethalloffame.

Wolff is being recognized for being instrumental in the early design and development of the Internet. Wolff, the former National Science Foundation director for networking, was responsible for the development of the NSFNET – the first open computer network in the U.S. for the support of research and higher education.

He is one of 32 individuals honored by the Internet Society for their groundbreaking contributions to the global Internet. Other notables being inducted include Mark Andreesen, who created Mosaic--the first widely used Web browser; Henning Schulzrinne, who co-developed the key protocols to enable Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP); and Aaron Swartz, Internet activist and Reddit co-founder.

“Steve has truly earned this recognition as a member of the Hall of Fame’s Pioneer Circle for being one of the early and most important Internet visionaries,” said H. David Lambert, Internet2 president and chief executive officer.

“I feel very honored to be named to the Internet Hall of Fame, and doubly so to be in the company of so many peers and colleagues from those pioneering days when around the globe we worked with common purpose,” said Steve Wolff.  “The frontier seems as wide today as it did then.”

To learn more about Wolff’s work shaping the early design and development of the Internet, visit his bio at http://bit.ly/SteveWolff.

More details on the 2013 Internet Hall of Fame inductees can be found at www.internethalloffame.org. You can follow the Internet Hall of Fame on Facebook and on Twitter at @Internet_HOF.

About the Internet Hall of Fame www.internethalloffame.org

The Internet Hall of Fame is an annual awards program that has been established by the Internet Society to publicly recognize a distinguished and select group of leaders and luminaries who have made significant contributions to the development and advancement of the global open Internet.

About Internet2® www.internet2.edu

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions. Internet2 consists of more than 220 U.S. universities, 60 leading corporations, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks and more than 100 national research and education networking partners representing more than 50 countries. Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Emeryville, Calif.; and Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

Media contacts:

Todd Sedmak, Internet2 PR & Media Relations Manager

202-331-5373 or

###

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 CTO Steve Wolff To Be Inducted Into Internet Hall of Fame, Todd Sedmak, 07/31/2013