i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Iowa State University Joins Internet2 NET+ SIP Program

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Iowa State University Joins Internet2 NET+ SIP Program

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Iowa State University Joins Internet2 NET+ SIP Program
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 13:13:54 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Iowa State University Joins Internet2 NET+ SIP Program

Cloud Services from Aastra and Level 3 Communications Free Up University Technology Resources for Strategic Initiatives

Emeryville, Calif. – June 6, 2013 - Internet2, a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions, announced today that Iowa State University (ISU) is the newest member to join the Internet2 NET+ SIP Program. ISU plans to replace 8,000 campus phones and move them to the cloud by July, with an estimated $600,000 per year savings. The SIP Program is offered to members under the Internet2 NET+ portfolio.  The ISU services will be provided by Aastra (Hosted PBX Solution) and Level 3 Communications (SIP Trunking Services), and will utilize the Internet2 Network.

ISU was looking for a replacement for its legacy PBX system that would allow the university to upgrade its technology while at the same time minimizing capital outlay. ISU decided to look at cloud-based solutions to free up both human and monetary resources to focus on more strategic initiatives.

“Reliability of our communications service is paramount to Iowa State, and the geographical and system redundancy provided by the Internet2 NET+ SIP Program is something that we couldn’t achieve on our own,” said Jim Davis, Iowa State University vice provost for IT and CIO.  “We believe there are many community synergies provided by the Internet2 NET+ Services that we can leverage for the benefit of the university.”

ISU went through a rigorous selection process, including two proposals to evaluate more than a dozen solutions. The university ultimately chose the Internet2 NET+ SIP Program for a number of reasons, with the technical evaluation process providing key benefits. The broad feature set, mobility options, integration with existing campus applications as a result of standards-based technology, and the flexibility of administrative control provided by the hierarchical architectural design were noted to provide value along with the notable cost savings.

“We are very pleased with the value ISU and the greater research and education community are realizing from the growing portfolio of cloud services offered by the Internet2 NET+ initiative,” said Shelton Waggener, Internet2 senior vice president. “ISU’s implementation of the SIP Program services is yet another example of establishing a leading vision to attack operating costs and provide more value to all university constituents by capitalizing on better-yielding technologies. Facilitating the advancement of U.S. higher education through technology has always been a core goal of Internet2, and we are excited to see the growing effects of NET+ Service adoption across campuses.”

For more information on the benefits that cloud communications can provide for campuses, download the Constellation Research ROI Case Study. Visit www.internet2.edu/netplus/sip or email to learn more about the Internet2 NET+ SIP Program.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions.

Internet2 consists of more than 220 U.S. universities, 60 leading corporations, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks and more than 100 national research and education networking partners representing more than 50 countries. Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Emeryville, Calif.; and Washington, DC. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

###

Todd Sedmak
Internet2
PR & Media Relations Manager
202-331-5373

  • [I2-NEWS] Iowa State University Joins Internet2 NET+ SIP Program, Todd Sedmak, 06/06/2013