i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2, UAE research and education network announce partnership

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2, UAE research and education network announce partnership

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2, UAE research and education network announce partnership
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 12:27:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Internet2, UAE National Research and Education Network Announce Partnership To Support Research, New Services and Education Exchanges

WASHINGTON, D.C.—(May 17, 2013)--Internet2 and Ankabut, the National Research and Education Networks for the United States and the United Arab Emirates, announced today a formal partnership to leverage each others’ advanced network infrastructures to support science and health science research, and education exchanges.

"We look forward to developing this partnership with our colleagues in the United Arab Emirates in support of the research and education mission of several of our university members who have a presence in the region," said Internet2 President and CEO H. David Lambert. “This partnership will also serve as a prototype for expanding our collaborations throughout the Middle East and other parts of the world. Our work with Ankabut to implement the interconnections and systems will greatly benefit researchers and educators, and innovation.”

“Internet2 is an international leader in advanced technology. We are ready to be a full partner and jointly pave the way to develop an advanced infrastructure and services for our members,” said Ankabut CEO Fahem Al Nuaimi. “Ankabut plays a significant role in the research and scientific development of the UAE, and contributes to the international knowledge-based economy currently being pursued by the government as part of its ‘UAE Vision 2021.’ Our partnership will increase collaboration with international institutions.”

"We are pleased that Ankabut and Internet2 are partnering. We think this will be most helpful in providing NYU Abu Dhabi with the increased capacity and infrastructure we will need for our growing programs," said Thomas A. Delaney, Vice President and Global CITO, New York University. “This partnership will benefit other higher education campuses in the UAE and the Middle East, as well.”

 Internet2 and Ankabut will explore opportunities to collaborate with each other regarding the following:

·      Designing high-speed interconnects between each other’s advanced networks, serving the needs of researchers and educators, and taking into consideration the need for network redundancy, resiliency and other advanced networking features. Network architecture elements may include high-capacity transoceanic links and open exchanges.

·      Exploring emerging networking technologies, for example, OpenFlow/software-defined networking as a networking resource, advanced traffic management techniques, and other advanced technologies as they emerge.

·      Using identity management systems to enable seamless shared research and education, and resource sharing for their users and, through leveraging federated identity management, sharing cloud technologies for each other’s constituencies.

·      Creating an open access environment between the United States and Ankabut participant researchers and educators to share data repositories, intellectual capital, and open source software.

·      Stimulating collaborations between researchers and educators in both the United States and the region served by Ankabut by creating tools such as global video services, facilitating introductions, and populating project databases.

·      Enhancing staff expertise in advanced networking in the United Arab Emirates.

·      Identifying additional opportunities to work together. Examples may include brokering services and relationships.

About Internet2

Internet2 is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of their educational, research, and community service missions.

Internet2 consists of more than 220 U.S. universities, 60 leading corporations, 70 government agencies, 38 regional and state education networks and more than 100 national research and education networking partners representing more than 50 countries. Internet2 offices are located in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Emeryville, Calif.; and Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.internet2.edu or follow @Internet2 on Twitter.

About Ankabut

Ankabut is the United Arab Emirates’ Advanced National Research and Education Network offering academic institutions connectivity to other education networks around the world. In addition to connecting universities, Ankabut interconnects schools and public institutions across the UAE. Ankabut represents the UAE in national, GCC, and internationally in conferences, and exhibitions. Ankabut interconnects over 60 campuses.

It provides IP and IPV6 networking services and applications, educational technology services, voice and video communication, high performance computing), library interconnect (eFADA), and disaster recovery. Learn more at www.ankabut.ae or follow @ankabutuae on Twitter.

Media contact:

Internet2, Todd Sedmak, 202-331-5373 or .

Ankabut, Dean E. Hoke, +971-(0)-2-501-8531 or .

###

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2, UAE research and education network announce partnership, Todd Sedmak, 05/17/2013