i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens West Coast Office

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

[I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens West Coast Office

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens West Coast Office
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:30:15 -0500 (EST)

Internet2 Opens West Coast Office

Higher Education Seeks Tech Partners To Advance Research & Education

Emeryville, Calif.—Nov. 28, 2012--According to the National Venture Capital
Association, investors poured $400 million last year into
education-technology companies. Bay Area and West Coast leading technology
firms, including Adobe, Box, Brocade, Cisco, Evogh, HP, Juniper Networks,
Splunk, Vidyo and VMware are actively pursuing the higher education market
with new offerings and solutions tailored for the education communities.

To assist industry and higher education, the nation’s major research
universities, via their technology consortium, Internet2, recently opened a
West Coast office in Emeryville, California. Internet2, a close partner with
technology leaders and innovative networking companies, will now have an
office near its West Coast members and will influence the direction
technology companies take involving everything from e-textbooks to Big Data
scientific research.

Internet2 includes more than 220 major research universities, such as
Caltech, Stanford, University of California-Berkeley, University of
California-Davis, California State University-East Bay, University of Oregon,
University of Utah and Washington State, and nearly 120 industry, affiliate
and research and education members. Internet2’s California regional network
partner, California’s Corporation for Education Network Initiatives (CENIC),
will also share space with the consortium giving them a Northern California
presence to complement their Southern California headquarters.

Internet2 also recently hired former UC-Berkeley’s Associate Vice Chancellor
and Chief Information Officer Shelton Waggener. Along with Waggener, other
strategic hires and resources will be based in Emeryville to serve the
growing demand for Internet2’s high performance network, cloud, research
support services, industry relations and other programs. Waggener leads
Internet2’s implementation of emerging cloud and advanced technologies on
behalf of the member campuses supporting large-scale adoption of new research
and education.

In 2012, Internet2 engaged 29 cloud computing companies and more than 150 of
its university members to drive down the cost and complexity of adopting
these emerging solutions and developing higher education specific cloud
services. This represents tens of millions of dollars in value for its
members.

Internet2's members are able to leverage the nations fastest research and
education network – Internet2’s 100G-enabled, 8.8 terabit optical network to
deliver cloud services and keep pace with the exponential growth in Big Data
science being driven by the nation's collaborative researchers in labs and
universities. The combination of this new network and expanded education and
research focused cloud services enable transformational new solutions for
education delivery and provide better-yielding solutions for university
business functions—helping higher education institutions remain competitive
nationally and globally.

“Higher education is going through massive changes. With the shift in
financial models, globalization, and online educational offerings, past
approaches for acquiring and using technologies are simply too slow and
costly. There are too many expenses, too much overhead and too much
administration,” said Shelton Waggener, senior vice president, Internet2.
“The technology available to our community today gives us the opportunity to
tailor cloud solutions to meet our communities specific needs while making
them available to all our members simultaneously with minimal additional work
per campus. Cloud technologies, like Instructure’s Canvas Learning Management
Systems, Box’s collaboration platform, or Splunk’s big data tool set, are
delivered through an approach enabling the next generation of research and
education to occur at Internet2 speeds. The tech community is realizing big
opportunities that our combined efforts bring."

Box, a leading Silicon Valley cloud service provider partnered with Internet2
and member campuses including Stanford, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and
Notre Dame beginning the fall of 2011 to offer U.S. universities a secure and
simple way to deploy Box across their entire campus communities. Box’s cloud
collaboration service helps undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and
staff access, share and manage content online and from mobile devices.

“Universities are moving away from their legacy systems and instead want
technology that mimics what students have become accustomed to in their
personal lives,” said Whitney Bouck, general manager of enterprise at Box.
“By joining forces with Internet2, higher education communities can now
benefit from simple content sharing and collaboration in the cloud, making it
easy for teams to work, learn and collaborate in new ways.”

“More and more technology providers are discovering the value of working with
our members to identify effective solutions to campus challenges and the best
methods to quickly scale services that benefit teaching, learning and
research,” said Internet2 CEO and President H. David Lambert. “No other
national organization offers this level of collaboration between higher
education and the technology industry to launch our strategic cloud and
advanced networking services. Our new office allows us to be closer to our
West Coast members and technology leaders, as together, we advance the
research, innovation and education missions of our nation's leading
universities."

Internet2’s new West Coast office, which offers free video conferencing and
office space to all Internet2 members and their leadership, is located at
6001 Shellmound St., Suite 850, Emeryille, CA 94608. Internet2’s other
offices are located in Ann Arbor, Michigan; Washington, D.C.; and New York
City.

About Internet2

Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

To arrange an interview about higher education and the technology industry
partnering, media should contact Todd Sedmak of Internet2 at 202-331-5373 or
.

###

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 Opens West Coast Office, Todd Sedmak, 11/28/2012