i2-news - [I2-NEWS] Internet2 To Expand Research and Global Collaboration Among U.S. and Chinese Universities and Research Networks

Subject: News for and about the Internet2 community

  • From: Todd Sedmak <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-NEWS] Internet2 To Expand Research and Global Collaboration Among U.S. and Chinese Universities and Research Networks
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 09:41:59 -0400 (EDT)

Internet2 To Expand Research and Global Collaboration Among U.S. and Chinese
Universities and Research Networks

Project Addresses Global Infrastructure, Growth & Innovation

Ann Arbor, Mich. – (Oct. 12, 2012) – Internet2 plans to enhance research and
collaboration over a three-year period between U.S. and Chinese researchers,
scientists, educators and higher education leaders. The announcement was made
last week at the Chinese-American Networking Symposium (CANS) in Seattle.

The project, “Framework Program for U.S.-China Collaboration in Scientific
Research and Education,” will establish working groups to address global
infrastructure needs and foster the continuing exchange of ideas to produce
growth and innovation. Internet2 expects to work with its university members
that have a history of productive interactions with Chinese students and
faculty, and to position the universities as the central community
coordination group from the United States.

“This effort will enhance Internet2’s global support of our university
members and expand education and research collaboration between the U.S. and
China,” said Internet2 President and CEO H. David Lambert. “We will work
with universities and researchers to benefit multiple scientific disciplines
and promote the global exchange of educational findings and methodology.”

The program will help build engagement among Internet2 and the China
Education and Research Network, the China Science and Technology Network, and
the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Internet2 will also support ongoing
collaborations and remote deployments between U.S. universities and China,
scientific interactions between the two countries, and prior findings by
CANS. The project also will make use of the momentum resulting from the
creation of a 10G link between the U.S. and China, which is a joint effort
between Indiana University and Internet2.

“The broadened and expanded CANS activity fits nicely with the new US-China
high-performance network connection,” said Jim Williams, director of
international networking at the Indiana University Global Research Network
Operations Center. “The CANS activity will concentrate on developing enhanced
US-China science collaborations and the development and deployment of better
network tool sets to improve the use and efficiency of the network
connection. I look forward to working closely with Internet2 in the
development of a new generation of US-science collaboration and a new
generation of CANS.”

The Symposium promotes interoperability and seamless networking—and seamless
collaboration in research and education. CANS was initiated in the summer of
1998 by the Chinese Association for Science and Technology, USA, and the
University of Maryland, and co-sponsored by the China Education and Research
Network and the China Science and Technology Network.

About Internet2
Internet2® is a member-owned advanced technology community founded by the
nation's leading higher education institutions in 1996. Internet2 provides a
collaborative environment for U.S. research and education organizations to
solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in
support of their educational, research, and community service missions. For
more information, visit www.internet2.edu.

Media contact: Todd Sedmak, 202-331-5373 or
.

###

Visit our website: www.internet2.edu
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/internet2
Become a Fan on Facebook: www.internet2.edu/facebook

  • [I2-NEWS] Internet2 To Expand Research and Global Collaboration Among U.S. and Chinese Universities and Research Networks, Todd Sedmak, 10/15/2012